Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bad crack at 1:00 to good crack at 7:00

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday my old firebox was in 5 pieces and had this big nasty crack at the back position like a clock face at 1:00.
IMG_2288.jpg

Now thanks to my BGE dealer I have a new firebox and the factory sawn "crack" is a 7:00 where it should be!
IMG_2292.jpg

What a difference a day makes!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    I was sent an email from a friend asking me about my grate which didn't appear to be a BGE cast iron. So I thought someone else might want to know as well. Here it is up close:
    IMG_2407.jpg

and here are the welded legs on the bottom which keep it from rocking.
    IMG_2408.jpg

A fellow had it made for me 10 years ago at a machine shop and it is still holding up well.
  • It looks like my day job as a concrete supervisor has really helped the Egg. One of my daily responsibilities is crack prevention. I bet the Egg is sure glad I attended the 2009 Eggtoberfest.

Anyways, How are you doing Ron? Have you been experimenting with the products I sent you?
  • RRP
    Yes, I have used it on chicken as well as the last butt. I like it, though I still add a kosker salt kicker which defeats your low-salt purpose, but then we're the ones eating the food!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    That crack on the new one is going to give you uneven burn. You need to have it at 3 o'clock for an even burn assuming the lower vent is at 5 o'clock. Alot of Engineering and science went into this. :laugh:

Looks good. I have to deal with my cracks like your first pic.
  • RRP
    and just how am I going to move that crack? It is right in the middle of the clean out vent.
  • BillB2002
    BillB2002 Posts: 22
    What is this "factory sawn crack" of which you speak?

My small has no such thing... is it a feature of the larger models?
  • RRP
    Please look at the picture again for the straight dark line in the new box. I'm not sure when they started doing that to fireboxes or which ones but it has been in the last 2 or 3 years. This relieves much of the stress.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    I like the legs on the grate. I need those on my Mini.
  • Hi RP Do you think the cracking of Fireboxes that I see from a lot more of northern Egger’s could be contributed to the extreme freezes and thaws that is not experienced nearly as harsh or not at all in areas down south?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I doubt it. I'm a little northwest of Mr RRP. Firebox cracked a few years back on 4th of July. Firering cracked a few weeks ago.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Interesting
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    It's pretty easy to add those stabilizing legs. Just add 3 threaded bolts with one nut each to snug up against the grate. You can even drill 3 new holes if you're so inclined as cast iron is a soft metal.
  • RRP
    I agree, Brandon - IMO it's not so much from thermal shock as it is structural design shock when it was just one piece. This single cut seems to be getting good reviews from users.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Ron, regarding your question about "moving the crack?", I don't think that is particularly relevant. It seem just sensible to me to place the firebox so that the air intake opening lines up with the bottom vent for optimum air flow.
    Make sense?

:ermm:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    That was my whole point! Just how was I supposed to magically move the crack to some other position in the egg shell, when the sawn crack is right in the middle of the access opening, which needs to be lined up with the lower vent!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Well, my egg is only 14 months old; it came with the "factory crack" in the fire box lined up with the air intake opening, like yours.
    I have not yet experienced an uneven burn.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The magnitude and speed of temperature change due to weather changes is nothing compared to what the firebox undergoes during a normal cook.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Thanks for the awesome idea. :woohoo:
  • purcellj
    purcellj Posts: 44
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    The magnitude and speed of temperature change due to weather changes is nothing compared to what the firebox undergoes during a normal cook.

Completely agreed. Both in absolute and relative changes.