Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Niagara Eggfest III Hotels

Sailor71
Sailor71 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So where is everybody staying? Seems all the clean reliable, reasonable cost hotels in the area are booked. Some big marathon is on that weekend. Looking for suggestions as I need two non smoking rooms (4 adults) for Sat and Sun night. Might have to cancel registration if costs get to high for rooms.

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Are you saying that the host hotel, The Days Inn, is booked already also?! Holy crizzap! :ohmy: That'll put a kink in a lot of people's plans if that's true. Please confirm.
  • Sailor71
    Yes the Days Inn is full
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    And Days did not have a group rate for the fest.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You might check around for Bed and Breakfast places. There are a bunch around that area. Good luck.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    If they didn't get a block of rooms, that would be a big mistake.

It kinda puts a damper on an after party if everyones at different hotels.

I wonder if there are any rooms at the Best Western (the host hotel for Nieggara 1)
    That might be a good alternative if we could get a block of rooms there?

Michael
  • Sailor71
    I agree a big mistake. I talked to Lakeside and no they do not have a block of rooms anywhere. I am now sitting on the fence considering pulling out. I was very eggcited to do my first cook.
  • RGBHV
    And yet the official fest web site says:

Lakeshore Living has made special arrangements with DAYS INN.

* DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED *

Hmmm...

I haven't registered yet - I'll look into accommodations first.

I hope you don't cancel - it's a blast to cook at an Eggfest! I'm sure
    you'll enjoy yourself.

Michael
  • Days Inn knew nothing of the "details" and we got the LAST ROOM there :ohmy:
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    I just checked Priceline and it has Days Inn available at $128. This is the 'what you see is what you get' higher priced option, not the 'name your own price' deep discount hotel unknown bidding option. You can change or cancel without penalty, I think.

[url]fae930c3.jpg[/url]

Gary
    canuckland
  • Sailor71
    Secured a couple of rooms at the Capri.
  • RGBHV
    Gary:

That's truly disappointing.

If we do participate in Nieggara this year, it sounds like a $1K weekend, where we can't stay at the host hotel, which makes the after party suspect. Oh bother, I think I'll have a nap in the hammock and rethink this.

For $1K, I could have a wicked (pre or post) party at my place.

Michael
  • Weekend Warrior
    Michael, can I reserve a room at Michael and Anka's B&B?

This situation is very dissapointing indeed. Just more of what we experienced last year with regard to organization and planning.

Having it on a Sunday was almost enough reason for me not to attend and now this with the host hotel pretty much seals the deal for us.

Really a shame.

Mark
  • PattyO
    There are four additional hotels listed on the eggfest page. http://www.niagaraeggfest.com/niagaraeggfest_hotel.html
    And there are always last minute cancellations.
    I'm just as concerned about an after party. Where? Can't one of the organizers let us know. And there is still no schedule of events on the page.
  • Weekend Warrior
    I'm just as concerned about an after party. Where? Can't one of the organizers let us know. And
    there is still no schedule of events on the page.

For the most part Patty, fest organizers do little to nothing regarding the afterparty past selecting the host hotel. If the organizers can't manage to book a block of rooms for the fest, it's probably asking a little too much of them for anything else. hahaha

As you now know, a lot of us that attend the fests go just as much or more to re-connect with friends at the various get-togethers as we do cook at the actual fest itself. Without a host hotel for a central location for Eggheads to gather, organizing an after party where people don't have to drive back to another hotel is tough. You/I DO NOT want to get a DUI in Canada and their thresholds for impairment and legal ramifications are much tougher than ours.
  • PattyO
    But with no "official" hotel it would be nice if they could just make a few calls to arrange a site where we can light up some eggs. I remember Pittsburgh last year there was a concern with lighting up in the parking lot but the dealer worked it out with the hotel to go to a side lot where there was no traffic.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Mark,

Pencil in the Frozen Fest and all your worries will be left behind. 3 days of Eggzactly what you're talking about. B) That goes for Pat fest as well. :whistle:
  • RGBHV
    I just might be with you on this one Mark.

I'm going to talk to Anke about it this weekend. Right now, I'm thinking - pay the $35.00 a head, show up Sunday morning as a taster, and then come back home at the end of the day.

That way, (if anyone's interested) we could do a meet N greet OR an after party at my place (eggs, tIki bar, swimming pool, good neighbours, etc) and very reasonable hotels close by if needed apx. half way between Nieggara and downtown Toronto.

I'll be watching the forum to see how this all plays out.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    We used it for Nieggara 1 and they had at least 9 rooms available. on Aug 20 & 21.

It's the exact same distance between this hotel and the Day's Inn.

And I remember it being relatively easy to have the after party at the hotel.

Michael
  • EggNeato
    EggNeato Posts: 19
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Best Western. After reading this thread last night and out of desperation I had booked this morning at the Crowne Plaza in Niagara although it was a little on the expensive side. We've been waiting almost a year for this Eggfest and didn't want to miss it. The rates are much more reasonable at the Best Western so we'll be staying there now instead of the Crowne Plaza.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Eggfest!
  • RGBHV
    Personally, I think it would be best to try and get all of the Eggheads at one hotel so that we can have a proper pre and post party.

What we have to keep in mind is that WE have some negotiating room here. (I would suspect 10 rooms or so)

If we move all of our business to one hotel, we'll probably get a better rate and have more fun in the process. (Remember, your credit card is is merely securing the reservation and you can cancel up to 48 hours before check in. So if the price is right, it is possible for everyone to move to the same location.)

I think I'll book a couple rooms at the best western today just so I have something.

Michael
  • PattyO
    Count me in if it's cheaper than Day's where I got my res a few months ago. However I did call BW a few days ago and they had only one exec suite still available. Nothing else.
  • EggNeato
    EggNeato Posts: 19
    I'm not sure which one you tried, but there appear to be several Best Western's in the area. These two may be the closest, but I haven't verified that.

2 North Service Road,
    Saint Catharines, ON, L2N 4G9, Canada

and

2793 Beacon Boulevard,
    Jordan, ON, L0R 1S0, Canada

We're booked at the one in Jordan.
  • PattyO
    I called the BW across the street from Days in St. Catharines. But I'll go where ever the group goes.