Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay, Folks, Best Burger Ever Report

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, I must apologize for the lack of pictures; I just didn't get a chance to make the lions pause during their feast.[p]Anyway, I am in no way trying to boast here, but tonight I cooked THE best burgers ever. So simple, but man I thought I was going to kick the cat. [p]So, I feel obliged to tell you guys what I did - I guarantee you will be pleased.[p]First of all, started with 85/15 ground beef - that is, 85% lean / 15% fat.[p]Using 1/2 lb meat per pattie, I first folded into the center of the burgers a mixture of Dizzy Cow Lick and Lemon Pepper. I then rounded the burgers into 1" thick patties. I then coated both sides liberally with Dizzy Cow Lick and Lemon Pepper again, as well as olive oil. Stuck the burgers on a pan in the fridge.[p]Got the Egg going with a fresh load of BGE lump and stabilized at 400 degrees dome temp (no wood chunks). I left the daisy wheel completely off and closed the bottom vent enough to obtain this temperature, BUT I didn't do this until I had a nice bed of hot coals going (after ~ 15 minutes). Egg was set up in "normal" mode, that is, the cooking grid was in its normal position sitting on the firering.[p]After about 20 minutes, took the burgers out of the fridge and put them on the Egg. This caused the dome temp to drop to 350. I maintained this 350 temp by doing very little to the bottom vent, still having the top completely open.[p]After 8 minutes at 350, I flipped the burgers. Closed the bottom vent completely during flipping to control flareups.[p]6 minutes later, I added a slice of colby jack cheese to each burger. Dome temp still sitting at 350 this whole time.[p]2 minutes after that, I pulled the burgers off. That is, I cooked them 8 minutes per side at 350 dome direct on normal cooking grid level.[p]The internal temp of the burgers ranged from 145 to 150.[p]The burgers were amazing. By far the best I've cooked yet. I ate two and a half of them sans bun, ala Mad Max. I think I attribute it most to the lesser cooking time, b/c I've done burgers with this seasoning before, just cooked a little longer. Or maybe the Egg was just in a zone tonight or something.[p]Anyway, the purpose of this now long post was just to give newbies or others who are interested a step-by-step method to produce amazing burgers. I know there's nothing revolutionary or complex or "new" about any of this, but I just feel the need to share when I have what I consider a "homerun cook."[p]Cheers to all,[p]A Very Full TRex

Comments

• Delaware Dude
    Options
    TRex,[p]Your burger cook sure looks interesting.[p]I do burgers your own TRex way (with Dizzy Cow Lick) and they are the best I have ever had. [p]Have you done burgers the TRex way?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    that's about how i do em. .. sometimes mix in a tablespoon of bbq sauce (like ken stone's big chief, or bonesucking sauce) as well. ...also try them with ken's witchy red. . .i usually can't decide which i like better, the witchy red or cowlick, so i solve the problem by making myself one of each (great big grinning thing here). . .haven't used a hamburger bun at home since i found out how good they were nekid!! . .

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning TRex:[p]That is very similar to the way I did eight burgers last Sunday evening and they turned out perfectly! I agree with MadMaxx on the Witchy Red, it has to be my favorite rub for just about anything![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• TRex
    Options
    Delaware Dude,[p]I tried this once but I got burgers falling apart and flames and it was a real mess. And as far as the rest goes, I guess it doesn't really apply as much with ground beef since you're not talking about whole muscles and fibers that are able to tense up over high heat. So I wouldn't expect that you would get the same benefit from the rest when you're talking ground beef.[p]BUT, if it's working great for you, then by all means continue. I will try it again some day now that you've inspired me.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    SSN686,[p]Okay, okay, where can I get this Witchy Red stuff - I've heard so much about it.[p]Thanks,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]You know, the first time you said in a post, "I prefer to eat my burgers naked," I really got a scary image in my mind for a few seconds. LOL[p]TRex
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning TRex:[p]It is available from Ken Stone (Forum handle = BlueSmoke), he doesn't have a website, but you can see a description of the various rubs he makes at Q-Babes' website (link below). You can reach him via email (the one in his profile is correct I think). I understand he does not make the sauces anymore, but all of his rubs are great.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Ken Stone[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    TRex,[p]What max means is, he likes to wear a purple gown while he eats his burgers with no bun. [p](It seemed obvious to me...)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    nah, i keep my clothes when eatin burgers so that hot juices don't drip and hit me in the wrong places if you know what i mean. . ..now, chicken wings. ..that's a different story. ..nothing to drip, you know. ..heeeee