Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs

BigBobBBQ
BigBobBBQ Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make some beef short ribs on my BGE but get frustrated with trial and error.
Who knows of a dynamite recipe? I envision a plate of single ribs that are a dark smoked color with a small amount of sauce on them.
I really like the beef ribs at Houston's and the other restaurants they have such as Bandera's.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Just smoke em...

Buy the meatiest ribs you can find, I would put some mustard on the ribs then as simple as salt and pepper.

Put them on the egg indirect at 250° and let them cook. When the meat between the bone is tender they are ready to go.

Just don't over cook them, it will turn out to be the worst cook one can do on the egg.

But when done right they are some of the best eats one can get off of the egg.

beefrib3done.jpg

beefrib1.jpg

beefrib2.jpg

GG
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Are those short ribs? They look like back ribs.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BigBobBBQ
    Those are short ribs. Back ribs would have a round bone. As a rib moves away from the back bone they go from round to flat. The reason for that is the bones closest to the back bone are there for support. As you make your way forward/downward the purpose is protection of the organs and they have some "give". Take your hand and push on your ribs about belly level. They do "give" a little.
  • BigBobBBQ
    thanks for that. Your pictures make me hungry. Great work!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Thanks for the anatomy lesson. I've just never seen a short rib with such a long bone. Must be the way the butchers cut them around here.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BigBobBBQ
    Please give some specifics. Smoke them for how long at 250. Do you wrap them in foil part of the time. Would a 3-2-1 process work? Smoke for 3 hours. Wrap for 2 hours. Smoke again for 1 hour.
    I have a meat market in Denver who has beef ribs and they will split them for me. I can peel the membrane and then put mustard on them as I do for one of my St. Louis Style rib recipes.
    What are your thoughts? Thanks