Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked my first BGE meal

vonbonds
vonbonds Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it was a lot of fun as I haven't cooked with charcoal before so it was all a new experience to me. I light the fire with a BGE fire starter cube the size of a big quarter, got the fire going to about 500-600 then closed the vent to just 1/4" open and put on the top damper and after about 15 minutes got the temp to settle at 350 degrees on the button. I don't have any extensions for my grill so I cooked boneless chicken thighs with direct heat. I prepped the chicken with some olive oil and a chicken dry rub I got from Kitchen & Company..decently spicy.

I cooked it to temperature but like a proud papa I starred at the Egg the whole time I was on the deck..haha. At 180 degrees I pulled the chicken off and paired it with red beens and rice my wife made as well as some reheated green beans which all went perfectly together.

I couldn't be happier with my first go at it and I can't wait to figure out what to cook next. It really was a lot simpler than I expected, I was intimidated by the temperature control before I started and then realized it was much ado about nothing.

Here is the chicken for the record :)...

P7101084-XL.jpg

Tom

Comments