Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok Now What.... Got My Pearls

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i finally got my hands on some pearls. i got 2 packages of 1/4 pound dogs. so 4 pounds in all. i think i will vac and save most of them. because i am not sure when i will have friends comming from conn. and see i have been waiting on a oppertunity for several years to get some with out all the trouble of shipping $$$. and i have had friends who were up there bragging about eating them. they were in the neighborhood and were going to drive 5 min from my house. but no can do :(

i have been thinking that i will cook some sunday night for pam and i. so i have been going through a toppings menu from chili (i doubt it) to carmelized onion and mustard (proabably). but i was thinking how you pearl pros like yours topped. i know make the little slits, and find a big bun (they are 1/4 pounders).

soooo tell me how do you top your pearls????

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Hi Bente. I tasted them for the first time at NE fest. Carolina Q brought them.

P6254336.jpg

The toppings he served were chili, mustard, red onion and La Bomba. He also had the split topped buns that you can only get in the northeast.

P6254337.jpg

I am not a huge hot dog fan but I thought they were tasty. You guys should enjoy them.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BENTE
    thanls faith. i will proabably use a hoagie roll ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I think I would have to go naked on the bun with the first one to eggsperience the flavor on its own, and see what all the talk is about. Please let us know if you think they are "all that". I migght have to order some myself. :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    suit yourself, but I can't get those top cut buns and I've tried Hoagie rolls, but those throw off the taste IMHO - instead my mind is anticipating the taste of a hot dog bun so what I do is to cut my Pearls in half after cooking them and then take 4 hot dog buns and cut them into 2/3rd length. Each 2/3rd piece handles 1/2 of a Pearls nicely!
    IMG_1565.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BENTE
    thanks ron there is an idea!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    i will ron i am a little sceptical myself! but hey live and try maybe you will learn :laugh:

hope you are well

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Nobody ever mentions how long these babies are! They stick out of both ends of the usual purchased hot dog buns.

I like to make them the "meat" in my dinner, with a potato or corn and vegetable, and as I slice a piece off I dip it in something, like a mustard/mayo/horseradish sauce combo, or whatever you like.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    leftover butt instead of chili is good too. here; gulden's, butt and bomba...

4607448177_19acf7c077_b.jpg

btw, it couldn't have been TOO bad... faith had seconds! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Make some Homemade Split top dog length buns.As far as toppings,too hot for chilli dogs,go with the ernyin/musturd mix.Good sauerkraught is acceptable.PLEASE NO KETCHUP!!!PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!!! :sick: or pickles or tomatoes or other unmentionables. ;):) LaBomba is good on a dawg too. :whistle:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Homemade-Burger-Dog-Buns-353657

Thank me later. :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Well, I MUST admit,you FINALLY found a use for chopped Q. :laugh: :);) It really does look MITEEFINE!
  • BENTE
    so no bun? i will give that a try

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    haha poor faith!!

those look great i bought some deli buns from my publix and will figure something out on the bun. your toppings look great

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    i think it is too late to try making my own buns i wish i would have thought of that earlier :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Carolina Q
    Terry, with the buns, this is what you're going for. No crust on the sides, buttered and grilled or a CI griddle/skillet works too (maybe even better).

4607447973_151ce97fd7_b.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Another thought... if you can find some thick-sliced bread (like Texas toast without the junk added - just bread), that should be good too. Not long enough, but just cut the dogs in half. You could even toast both sides. :) I may have to try that myself!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut