Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Few Questions for First Pork Butt

Options
Rock Chalk Smoker
Rock Chalk Smoker Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I've only had my Egg for a few weeks and I love it! I've done ribs that tasted amazing and a great pork loin. Now I want to try a pork butt, something my wife and I really wanted a smoker for. I've been reading the forums, and think I feel more confident about dome temps and how to prep the butt. However, I still have a few questions that I would love some input on.

1.) I have an XL Egg, does any one have any idea what size drip pan I should get? I thought about buying one that has the right length and width, and just cutting down the height. Would that work?

2.) I have a remote thermometer and I was wonder if any one has any tips on where to position it. The only reason I ask is because I know I don't want it next to the bone. So how far away should I place the thermometer away from the bone so I get a good reading?

3.) Last question. Even though I am a little more confident about dome temps and preping, I will ask anyway. I've read a lot of post where people say the dome temp should be 250, but I've also read a few people say 225. Also, I was going to just rub yellow mustard on the butt and than put my rub on. Any other thoughts?

One last thing, I got the pork butt at Sam's and it says the weight is 14 pounds.

Thanks in advance for your help. I love the love on this forum and know I will get some good feedback.

Comments

• BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    I did my first about a month or so ago, and i think that you deserve a vote of confidence! if you cooked tomorrow I think you would be set!

Dome temp of 225 or 250 seems to be about right...don't stress over it. if your egg decides to sit around that range you should be good. butts are very forgiving.

for the rub: mustard + dry rub (dizzy dust in my case) worked VERY well. butt came out with an AMAZING bark that was crispy and flavorful, but not tough at all.

Drip pan, who cares? make a boat out of foil if you want. All you're looking for is something to catch the fat so it doesn't make a mess out of your egg.

Thermometer placement: i think you're onto the right track...don't let it touch the bone and you're good. when you go to take the butt off, just check in a couple of places for 195* or 200* and you should be good. if you stick the thermometer in and it feels like air, you're good to go!

Good luck, and seriously: this cook will go great for you, you already have tons of good knowledge, so get out there and do it!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Not in order...

Put your food probe in the middle of the meat, side to side, top to bottom.

You probably have two pieces of meat in the packate, if so figure time on the smallest piece and don't let the two pieces of meat tough each other.

Drip pan, use something that will fit under both pieces of meat, even if you use aluminum foil with the ends turned up. Try to keep a space between the plate setter and the drip pan. You don't want the drippings burning.

The grate temperature is usually lower than the dome temperature. I am not sure of the delta on an XL egg. If your dome is 225° the grate might be as low as 200°. If target done is 200° it is going to take a long time when cooking at 200°. I would cook at least 250°. You can cook a but hotter if you want and it will still turn out great.

Good cooking, take some pictures. We will be looking for the results.

GG
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Are you in KS?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    250 dome and cook to temp not time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • bwcegged
    bwcegged Posts: 18
    Options
    250 F. is a good crusing temp for my butts!!!Good luck & keep us posted! :)
  • bbqblues
    bbqblues Posts: 31
    Options
    I use a deep dish pizza pan as a drip pan in my LGE.
    With the plate setter in the legs-up position, it fits
    good. And with the tall sides I can pour apple juice
    in it for added flavor. Be sure to slightly elevate
    whatever you use to allow for airflow. You can use
    the little green ceramic feet if your not already using them. I don't own a remote thermometer, so I can't
    comment on that.Cooking temp? I just did 9# last weekend.Cooked between 225 and 275 for 15 hours.
    Good luck and have fun!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    250° dome. drip pan - no liquid needed. no spacers needed either. And mustard is for hot dogs. Just apply rub directly to the meat.

So... fill lump to the top of the firebox, light in three places, stabilize dome temp at 250° with all components in the egg (except meat), platesetter, legs up. Drip pan on platesetter (I use a disposable lasagna pan). Grid on top of platesetter legs, meat directly on grid. Pull at 195°.

When u add meat to stabilized temp egg, temp will drop. Don't mess with vent settings. Temp will come back up by itself.

Oh yeah... calibrate your dome thermometer before you start. Insert probe in boiling water. If not 212°, turn nut on back until it is. Adjust for altitude if significantly above sea level.

http://www.thermoworks.com/software/bpcalc.html

Good luck! You won't be disappointed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Sam's? Are you sure you have bone-in? My guess it that you have TWO BONELESS pork butts. Neither my Sam's nor my Costco have bone-in anymore, I have to get those at the butcher shop.

Not saying this is fact, but I suspect it may be.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Answers:

1) Drip pan is to catch the drips, so anything will work. I use Al foil.

2) In the center of the meat, at least 1" from any bone.

3) Most temps noted here are dome temps.

Rub: - I don't use the mustard. Most of the flavor in your rub spices is oil based. I've found that a rubbing a little vegetable oil onto the meat and then the rub works very, very well for me.

Sam's Club - probably two individual boneless butts. If so, you'll probably want to tie them up a bit as the butchering will cause there to be a couple of small hangers on attached to the main glob of meat. I get my pork butts from CostCo and that's what I end up with. I've found that when I tie up the pork butt, those little hangers on don't cook any faster than the rest of the meat and they come out nice, moist, and tender. If they weren't tied to the main mass meat, they don't cook right. But, that's just my experience.
  • Rock Chalk Smoker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and feedback! I think I am ready to tackle this tonight. Also, yes I am in Kansas. I graduated from KU in '08. I will take pictures and post them either late Saturday or Sunday.
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    Options
    I am no Eggspert having only been egging about two weeks but I did two butt cooks during the holidays. One with 2 8s one with 2 7s and they turned out great.

Over the years I have used mustard and really cant tell a difference as far as the bark etc.. Now I don't bother with the mustard at all.

On the egg I shoot for a dome of 250 on the egg. My experience over the years has shown me that 10-15 degrees either side of that 250 is not going to make a huge difference. I plan on 2 hours per pound and find they are usually ready before that. However with butts there is no magic time they are done when they are done so for this reason I plan to have them out according to time about 2-3 hrs before eating time. That way I have time to play with on either side and they hold well double wrapped in foil in the cooler.

As far as a drip pan I usually use one of the disposable aluminum pans that come close to fitting under the meat. That way there is no clean up just trash the pan.

I try to put my temp probe in the thickest part of the meat no matter where the bone runs
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Here is a picture of mine. Grate temp was around 225-250. Each Butt was about 7.5 pounds, took 9 hrs. Just hit it with Dizzy Dust no mustard.

DSC00309.jpg
  • Rock Chalk Smoker
    Options
    Okay so all-in-all it went really well. Woke up at 2 AM to get the egg started, and had the meat on my 2:30. By 4 I was confident that the temp was stable at 250 and it was for most of the day. By 1 the internal temp was 170, but the egg temp was dropping. I think the remaining coals went out or maybe next time I need to add more (which was weird because I added a little more than what was recommended anyway). Because this was only the third thing I have smoked on the egg, I didn't feel confident taking everything off and add new coals. So I wrapped them in foil and finished them in the oven. I know this is ideal because is softens the bark, but it still did taste great! Everyone loved them and all the guys had thirds. I took good pics with my camera with the rub on, but in the excitement I only took one pic with my phone and it is kind of blurry.

Thank you all for your help. I wouldn't have been able to have such a successful day without it. Next week we are going to try doing pizza on the egg. Wish me luck!

photo.php?fbid=10100282601626039&set=a.10100282601531229.2603379.16813363&type=1&theater

photo.php?fbid=10100282601626039&set=a.10100282601531229.2603379.16813363&type=1&theater