Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oops....now I need answer

Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got home and planning to cook pork loin 2in thick cuts...still frozen, only edges defrosted. :(
Can I cook frozen on the egg and still get moist meat?
I am thinking wrap in bacon, slow (225/250) until totally defrosted and kit up temp to 350.
Suggestions/ideas welcomed.
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Joan, you could try putting a fan on them for 30 minutes or so....that will sometimes get'em thawed.
  • Hot tub it, that will thaw it quickly. I do that with lots of things, works well.
  • Austin  Egghead
    ok I bite how do you hot tub it?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    put em in a ziplock and in a pot of cold tap water. chops thaw unbelievably quickly that way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    is this what you mean? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WniZ1ly5Ik
  • Put it in a ziplock type bag fill the sink or a container with enough hot water to cover the meat open the top a little and the water will force the air out. Let it float until thawed. you may need to change the hot water if it cools too much. Also a great way to do steak, do a search.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Village Idiots method of hot tubing:

VillageIdiotshottubbing.jpg

:woohoo: :ermm: :whistle: :evil:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    You can also thaw in the hottest tap water you can get out of the faucet...they will thaw in just a few minutes.

Someone recently posted a link to a food study that showed that as long as you are cooking the food immediately, you can thaw it pretty much any way you want as long as it is quality meat (i.e. not already tainted) and you cook it to the proper temperature. Thawing it in the fridge for two days produced no more bacteria than thawing it in hot water in just a few minutes.

So go cook them chops!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Here is what I have done: Quick defrost via CarolinaQ and FL XL Egger, center still a little frozen and I am worried it will dry out.
    Found my Rumtopf crock soaked while pork defrosting (yes I still have my rumtopf). I placed slices side by side, seasoned and rolled in bacon latice. Placed in romtopf top and tightly covered with foil. Egg temp at 325ish will check in 30 minutes.
    Thanks everyone for suggestions.
    And that hot tub pig cook look very interesting, but I would have placed a glass of wine on the side for atmosphere :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    That Village Idiot is a hoot! ;)
  • Carolina Q
    I didn't realize that. Always heard you should never thaw meat in anything but cold water. Mom, on the other hand, just leaves the meat out on the counter. :) She's been doing that all her life and just turned 95 years old the other day. So maybe that's ok. B)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Joan, I still have my Romertopf too, though I haven't used it on the egg. Great in the oven though!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MeatEater
    MeatEater Posts: 22
    Hot tub it, as suggested. I do all steaks, porks chops, london broil and flank steaks. I have even done a beef tenderloin this way. In my opinion, this is the best. Although, I have never tried chicken! Chicken freaks me out!!!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Thanks everyone!!! The cook was a comedy of errors, but in the end the loin chops turned delicious and juicy. It is late so I will post both pictures errors tomorrow.