Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommended Accessories for new owner?

vonbonds
vonbonds Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

I am going to purchase a Large BGE either later today or tomorrow. I was wondering what recommended accessories are no brainers to get since at the time of purchase I get 20% of all accessories. Most of the time I will be cooking for my wife and young son but I will also entertain family on many weekends. I will be interested in cooking mostly low and slow (brisket, ribs, chicken, etc...) so anything that can help along those lines would be appreciated.

So far I know I am getting the following..

Large BGE
Nest
Egg Mate Tables
Plate Setter

I tried using the search function but this isn't the most intuitive message board I have been to so far :).

Thanks in advance and I look forward to researching and trying new recipes from you all!

Tom

Comments

• Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Welcome and Congrats! You are in the right place for getting info. I don't post much since most of my questions have already been asked and can be found with a search. I agree with you though the search could be a little better but the advice and knowledge here is so so valuable.

For me the first two purchases were a pizza stone and the cast iron grate. I did buy the grate extender and cast iron griddle (half moon). I use the half moon (CIGHL) all the time but the grate extender (GX) isn't worth buying IMO. I do use it to raise my pizza stone but other things can be used for that and it is a pain since it is always flopping around every time you pick it up. I'm actually just going to buy some stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts and use the grid that came with my egg as my second level.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I've had my EGG a little over a year now and these are the only things I've purchase for it:
    plate setter
    pizza stone

Haven't seen a need for anything else yet.

Something to measure the finished temperature of the meat is critical though in my book. Other than that, you should be ready to cook for now.
    These are great:
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    I second the thermapen. I was only thinking about BGE made accessories but the thermapen is the best tool I have for cooking, hands down.
  • bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    Thermopen and a remote thermometer such as the Maverick ET 732... However, your dealer probably doesn't stock either.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I would add the pizza stone to that list for sure. A Papa Murphy's large pie sits in there nicely.

If they will give you a deal on a good thermometer, that is essential too. You will also need fuel and you'll soon be wanting a variety of wood chips and chunks. Man does not live by lump alone. I'd get some apple chunks for your first 20 hour pork butt cook, and some mesquite or hickory chips for your steaks. Pecan is supposed to be good for chicken, but I have not tried that yet.

I have recently learned that I need a way to get a second layer of meat into the Egg, but I do not like either of the BGE brand accessories and I would not buy them even at 20% off. You can either spend a bundle on stuff from ceramicgrillstore.com (which DOES look like nice gear) or cheap out and make a second level from stainless steel 3/8" threaded rod, nuts, and fender washers--that is my plan.

Lastly you are going to need a drip pan. If they can give you a deal on something that will fit between the plate setter and the grill, great. If not, plan to get something, somewhere, soon. (Know that your nice pretty Pyrex baking pans will get smoked dark brown and will never look clean again, even if you line them with foil, if you use 'em in the Egg... so get something cheap and ugly.)

I am a new egger, had mine only about a month... YMMV.

Hmm, time to brine the chicken for dinner...
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Everyone needs a Thermapen whether or not they are grilling, smoking, or just cooking in the kitchen. Wellll worth the investment. I also recommend a pizza stone because pizzas are phenomenal on the Egg. I'm not even a pizza fan and I'm HOOKED!! Have fun with your new Egg!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Congrats on the new egg and welcome! I got a Spider from the Ceramic Grill Store and I use it combined with a small CI grid on probably 80% of my hot/fast cooks. You can also throw a wok on there and do stir fry.
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    I'd pick up some grill grippers as well. Helps to keep the hands clean and useful with a hot grill. Ash tool is also nice (mine was extra).

Thermpen is almost a requirement. I only had my Egg for a couple of weeks before I sprung for one. Don't see how I can live without it now.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Order a Thermapen and think about how you are going to light it. I use the electric starter but some people use a weedburner or rolled paper towels soaked in vegetable oil. A raised grid from the ceramic grill store would be nice.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Doing it all over again, I'd skip the plate setter and put that money toward an Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store.....even if I had to save a while to get it. A Thermapen is a must, as is a remote therm, like a Maverick ET 732. Finally, for something you can purchase for under $10 that you will find extremely useful, a pair of welders gloves from Harbor Freight. And, for something you can't buy, get a sense of humor and enjoy this site.

That ought'a get you cranked up and provide a basis for you to experiment further to define what you need to get to make the most out of your grilling experience. There's lots of stuff out there, and much of it I bought too early in the game, only to find out that I wish I would have waited a little longer to learn a few things. However, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above. Welcome and good luck.
  • DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    I got a plate setter, but later I got an Adjustable Rig and Spider from the Ceramic Grill Store, and haven't used the plate setter since. The BGE ash tool makes it easier to clean out the ashes.

You'll want some welder's gloves, and a pizza stone. Definitely an instant-read thermometer; most seem to like the Thermapen. I got a different one from Williams-Sonoma before I read about the Thermapen and it works OK, but I since saw a review that shows mine isn't as accurate.

- dan
  • Chuck222
    Chuck222 Posts: 67
    All good suggestions. One that's not mentioned so far is the third hand. An indispensable accessory in my opinion. I use it all the time to remove a hot grill (grid) and to change the set up during a cook. The tool allows you to hang the hot grid under a table so that it stays clean and is unlikely to come in contact with two-legged and four-legged creatures who might be wondering around the BBQ area or prevent you from setting down the hot grid on a wooden surface that you might not want to burn up (like your deck or your outdoor patio furniture).

See the link here:

http://thirdeyebbq.com/ThirdHand.aspx

Happy Egging,

Chuck L.
  • Chuck222
    Chuck222 Posts: 67
    All good suggestions. One that's not mentioned so far is the third hand. An indispensable accessory in my opinion. I use it all the time to remove a hot grill (grid) and to change the set up during a cook. The tool allows you to hang the hot grid under a table so that it stays clean and is unlikely to come in contact with two-legged and four-legged creatures who might be wondering around the BBQ area or prevent you from setting down the hot grid on a wooden surface that you might not want to burn up (like your deck or your outdoor patio furniture).

See the link here:

http://thirdeyebbq.com/ThirdHand.aspx

Happy Egging,

Chuck L.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    The ThermaPen tops my list of "must haves".

After that ....

I bought the plate setter before I got the spider and adjustable rig (AR).

I could live without the plate setter.

I do a lot of pork butts (well, at least 2 and sometimes 4 in a month). I don't think I could do without the AR now that I have it.

A nice to have is something like a DigiQ or Stoker (I have the Stoker) to manage the over-night cooks. I'm sure there are folks who can set the egg at 10PM and wake up at 8AM and find the temperature still at 250°F but that's not me .... yet. The Stoker allows me to sleep all night snug in the knowledge that it will wake me if the temp goes too far off target.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Thermapen hands down. It has prevented me from overcooking hundreds of meals. I have the cast iron grate and love it as well but I think the thermapen overrides it. Can't really mess up a meal by not having the cast iron, but overcook a prime rib or a tenderloin and it could be the difference in an ok meal or one that people rave about for weeks.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Welcome, Tom!

I have seen a lot of "get an adjustable rig" posts. Here and in past threads. And I have tried to convince myself that I "need" one. But I just can't figure out what I would do with it. I have a platesetter and a homemade way of raising the grid to gasket level. I'm good.

Also have a spider. Have used it 2-3 times because I have it. Not sure why as I can do everything I do without it.

Platesetter, pizza stone, some way to raise the grid, thermapen if you're anal about temps, welders gloves, some tool to pick up the grid (I use a three pronged hand held garden rake), ash tool... I'm running out of things here. Don't remember the last time I used my Maverick ET-73. $40 I should have spent on food.

I guess what I'm saying is, you don't need to rush out and buy every gadget on the market just because it's there.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Welcome, Tom!
    Is the 20% discount for anything, or just BGE accessories? Many of the things mentioned here a local dealer I doubt would have, like spiders, adjustable rigs, etc. Definitely get the cast-iron grate, and some kind of thermometer; if you get the platesetter you mentioned you'll have all kinds of things to try without spending any more (I'm two months into that process myself).
    Have fun!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    get the pizza stone, Grill grippers,Ash tool, V-Rack.
    If you have a good dealer, become friends with them. They can be your best friend in time of need. Good Luck with your BGE
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    A pair of PVC insulated rough texture gloves from CGS were < $10 IIRC, works great for pulling a butt or packer off the grill or flipping low & slow ribs. Also are nice for placing meat on the grill but when pulling @ 195 and weeping hot pork or beef fat that is where they shine.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I am fairly new to the egg, I got the plate setter and a pizza stone. My dealer suggested I just cook a while to see what I liked to cook the most. I got a maverick 732 for the long and slo cooks so you can monitor the temp from anywhere and I am getting ready to get the themopen to check the fast cooks. The rest will come in time.. Have fun and cook often.
  • LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    Speaking on behalf of all women out there who have a husband, Dad, and/ or brother who are difficult to shop for - I recommend you get 3-4 basic things from what others have mentioned above. Then, save the rest of the ideas and then when Christmas or a Bday etc roll around, you have some handy ideas of what folks can get for you. Win-Win. ;)
  • vonbonds
    vonbonds Posts: 22
    Thanks for the great suggestions all and I love this one the most Lois. My wife dreads Christmas as I am tough to shop for since I don't want much (that doesn't cost a complete fortune) anymore. I am off to get my BGE in a few hours after I finish up some morning meetings.