Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Sad day

Mr Holloway
Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mr Holloway lost his sister and best teacher this morning. Raine went to sleep last night and never woke up, saving me from the last drive to the vet we had scheduled today. She had a tough time the last couple of days but didn't suffer.
She was from a rescue litter and when I brought her home she was so scared, the next day I went and got her brother, Chase. From that day on she ruled the house and was the boss :)
She was 12 and had a good life
Some pics
Raine on the right
374.jpg
367.jpg

She loved her trip to the Bay of Fundy
377-1.jpg

One of my favorite pics
334.jpg

Keeping Mr. H in line
Watchitsonny.jpg

Thanks for giving me a place to share this

Shane

Comments

• 12 years seems so short :(

Sorry
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sorry for your loss. She's in a better place now, just remember you gave her a wonderful life and cherish your memories together.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mr Holloway
    Thank you DOW

Shane
  • Mr Holloway
    Thanks Jason
    She kept things interesting :)

Shane
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    So sorry to hear. Always tough.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i had to put my baby to sleep last year. sorry for your loss.
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Sorry for your loss :( . They never seem to hang around long enough. The black and white photo is definitely a "framer".
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I am so sorry for your loss. This forum helped me so much last Christmas when we lost ours.
    The people here were very good for me and I am sure you will find much help with our forum friends.
    These people care, we are all so very sorry for you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    sorry for your loss, its always a tough one. with abe going down last week it was one lousy weekend at camp. had everyone one there, kids, dogs, partyers, boats, bbq, yet seemed so friggin quiet. too many eggers losing pups this year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    OK here I go bawling again :( we sure have a large group at the rainbow bridge all taking about their owners eggs.. I bet all the non egg dogs are sorry they did not have it as good in their last life as all of ours have. I hope I come back as an eggers dog!
    But really I am sorry to hear about your loss.. they are so very dear to us. hugs
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Shane:

Seems like there has been a rash of departed friends, lately. You certainly have my sympathy, My friend. It hurts.

Mike
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    So sorry, we eggers have had a couple of bad weeks with our doggies. Buzzie had a rough night with the fireworks but came through OK, he is definitely not a gun dog.

Again, much sympathy :(
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Shane, my heart goes out to you buddy. It's uncanny, but when I posted last night about the steak bone from your cook, I was thinking about Raine. What a great dog. :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    sorry to hear of your loss - our 4 legged friends are near and dear to us dog lovers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sorry to hear about the oss of your pet, Shane. Those are nice pics.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. Doggies have such a way of becoming important members of our families. We have such joy when they are with us, but such a loss when they leave this world.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Godspeed, Raine.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I think there's an x-large at the rainbow bridge with pork, chicken, and other assorted goodies coming off it endlessly just for our furry friends.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    :( :( :(

I'm sorry.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Im so sorry. You gave her the best life possible and she knew it. All my dogs have been rescues and they know they are given a second chance at life. Cherish the great memories you had with her. Sometimes it is not fair they can't be with us forever.
  • A sad day indeed when you lose a part of the family
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Im so sorry. You gave her the best life possible and she knew it. All my dogs have been rescues and they know they are given a second chance at life. Cherish the great memories you had with her. Sometimes it is not fair they can't be with us forever.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    It's always a tough loss when you lose any thing of beauty that gave so much joy and loved unconditionally.
    Take solace that the life you gave her was a wonderful one and that she was able to return so much of that joy to back to you. Many continued blessings!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    It's difficult when a member of the family is gone forever.
    Try to remember the good times, a good full life is something to cherish. Thanks to you for making it possible.
    Take care.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Sorry to hear it, losing a pet is tough :(
  • Chuck222
    Chuck222 Posts: 67
    Sorry to hear. It looks like Raine had a wonderful life and you two were lucky to find one another. Falling asleep and not waking up is pretty good way to go if there is such a thing. Perhaps Raine knew that you weren't looking forward to taking her to the Vet, so she spared you the trouble and angst of having her put down. Celebrate her life and the time you had together. By the looks of the pictures, it looks like you already are.

All the best,

Chuck L
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Very sorry for your loss Shane. :(

Mark
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Beautiful pictures! So sorry for your loss. May God bless..