Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vegetarian Recipes

Options
FSM-Meatball
FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some friends coming over this weekend that are vegetarians. I can make the standard veggie burgers or portabellos, but I would like to blow them away with something really good. Any good ideas are appreciated. They are just vegetarians and not vegan.

The rest of the guests will be enjoying tasty burgers, steaks and maybe some fajitas.

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I will be following this thread. If you get some good recipes let me know please. We have a veg at work and is sometimes hard to cook for.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Squash tomatoes and onions in foil seasoned with butter and lemon pepper is good on the egg. Eggplant is also good on the egg.
    Try doing a deconstructed eggplant parmesan burger.
    Serve thick cut slices of grilled eggplant, tomatoes, and onions seasoned with italian seasoning, topped with parmesan cheese and served on garlic bread.
    Just remember eggplant can be bitter, so sprinkle with salt wait 30 minutes, rinse and the oil slices using EVOO
    Good luck
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    FSM: You may THINK it sounds silly to serve them veggie burgers and such, but truly think about it...If everybody else is having burgers, serve them Veggie burgers! (Boca burgers are delicous, and you might even consider asking their favorite brand!) They can dress their burgers just like everybody else is doing, and be 'part of the crowd' so to speak, with what appears to be no preferential treatment! When it comes to something like Fajitas, same deal!! Marinate (separately, obviously) some extra firm tofu, and grill it just like you do the beef or chicken of the Fajitas! They can then make their Fajitas along with everybody else!! Vegetarians don't need to be treated 'special'....in fact, I find they appreciate when there is not a 'big deal' made of it. Grilling tofu is just like grilling a chicken breast, but it takes a lot less time! It is my experience that they will appreciate you respecting their culinary choices, AND including them as equals. Don't try to 'knock their socks off'...focus more on how to include them as 'part of the group'. Just my two cents!

Also, please remember to dedicate part of the grid JUST to veg grilling, so their food is not being grilled on a surface that just grilled meat. Trust me...they will treasure and appreciate the respect you have provided. May sound simple...but it's a winner! I promise! (They may not be THIS strict, but very nice/respectful to make the effort!)

Serve potato salad without bacon, beans without bacon or ham....they can just blend in, and be part of the group, as opposed to being 'special'. They just don't eat meat! Treat them the same in all other aspects. JMO!!

FWIW: I am not a veg, nor am I a big meat eater. If I was sitting next to a Veg, and they got a nice pouch of veggies, and I got a burger, I would be bummed!!! I suggest treating all as equally as possible. ;)
  • No Trash
    No Trash Posts: 73
    Options
    Two of my favorites are pan roasted beats and grilled okra.

Beats: cut into 1/4 size, toss with olive oil salt and pepper. Put in to cast iron pan and roast on egg at about 325 until done.

Okra: leave whole and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Skewer and grill.

;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My older daughter and daughter-in-law are vegetarians. My daughter is easier to cook for because she eats eggs and milk product. The daughter-in-law will, but prefers not to.

So, for cook out, grilled portabellos are standard. When daughter was home, Boca burgers were frequent. Personally, I despise tofu, but tempeh (harder to find) grills up nice with a splash of teriyaki and some oil.

A standard that works well for everybody are root vegetable packets. Quarter potatoes, onions, halve garlic cloves, maybe a few slices of carrot and turnip, all sealed in a HD foil packet with oil, salt and pepper. When on the grill, you can hear the oil sizzle. Turn a few times. Will come out with some nicely browned spots. Good with a sprinkle of parmesan on top.

A non-Egg dish is re-fried beans that are made with oil instead of lard. We had some vegetarian neighbors, and I would make the beans from scratch. They allowed themselves dairy, so burritos with re-fried beans, cheddar and assorted vegetables worked out really well.

Grilled pineapple in brown-sugar rum sauce is terrific.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    Thanks for all the help.

I posted one of the favorite items I cooked this weekend for my vegetarian friends here-

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1118666#1118666