Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats with carmalized onions

dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I'm cooking some brats today along with crab legs and corn.

First, I started carmalizing the onion with olive oil, butter, salt, pepper and brown sugar...

IMAG0124.jpg
IMAG0125.jpg

As you can see, I'm doing the onions on the spider and then I added half my brats to the top rack to heat up some in a trial. I say trial because after the onions were done, I added a bottle of Sam Adams and put those brats and another pack of brats in the skillet to simmer...

IMAG0126.jpg

I'll pull all brats shortly and brown on the grill. I plan on retrieving all my onions from the broth.

More pix when it's all done.

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    One of my favorite cooks. I love to add a can of sour kraut to the skillet right when the onions get soft like I like em. Then serve on brats on hoagies smothered with the kraut onion mix with mustard. Love em!
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Here is the finished product. Many thought it was the best they have ever tasted. Of course, you already know that as you cook on the Egg all the time. ;)

IMAG0129.jpg

Nice smoke ring in the brat itself (one of the ones I put on the grill for a bit before simmering)
    IMAG0134.jpg

Part of the whole spread:
    IMAG0133.jpg

Overall, a great day. Now I've just relit my Egg to start my overnight butts. Have a great 4th.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    That's a mighty fine spread right there! Glad to see it turned out well. ;)