Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question

Options
CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking a 7 and a half pound bone in butt since midnight, at about 220 dome temp. After about 15 hours the meat temp was 175 to 180 and there were juices literally running out of the holes I poked with the thermometer.

And then I ran out of lump.

Was hoping to get to 195 so I pulled the butt and loosely covered it with foil while I got the fire going again. (Took about 15 minutes.)

The dome temp has been at 250 for an hour but now the meat temp is about 165. Not sure if I should leave it on until I get to 195 or pull it now and let it rest.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• chp
    chp Posts: 16
    Options
    same thing happened to me; after 12 hours i saw the temp beginning to drop and at 175 degrees still had some cooking to do. I did the easy way out and put it in my oven to finish! what I tasted was great and I worried about having it sit while re-stoking the fire. I guess I'm a cop-out(But the mosquitoes were terrible and the beer was running out too)
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    At 220 dome you are only approx. 195 grid temp. You will not get meat hotter than your fire. Your grid is usually approx. 25 lower than your dome, so bump up to closer to 250 dome and you will be right there. For this one since you are out of lump, double wrap it in foil and put it in a 300 oven, should be done soon. ;)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    What others have said. Cook at 250-270, uses less lump, butts get done faster and taste the same if not better.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    First, your dome temp should be 250. 220 is hard to maintain and will lengthen your cooking time. At 250 it should be about 1.5-2 hours per pound. You should fill your lump almost to the top of the upper fire ring. Depending on what size egg you have, a full load should last up to 24 hours.

If it goes out, just add some more lump, relight it and put the butt back on.

You need the butt to get up to 195 to pull properly. If you take it off at 180 the collagen has not finished breaking down and it won't have the right texture.
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Options
    Rusty Rooster wrote:
    At 220 dome you are only approx. 195 grid temp. You will not get meat hotter than your fire. Your grid is usually approx. 25 lower than your dome, so bump up to closer to 250 dome and you will be right there.

I am using this fact during my 30# butt smoke tonight. I put the larger butts higher in the dome so they are getting the higher cook temp. I'm hoping they all get done about the same time. If not, I'll simply foil wrap and then towel into a cooler.

IMAG0137.jpg