Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PDF of Butt Cook Chart

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who here has a pdf file that they could post showing the cooking time/temperature relation here for people? I don't have a stoker or guru that shows graphs, but I'm just curious of ballpark temps relevant to how long it's been cooking and I'm sure some others would like to see.

For instance, what hour in the cook does the butt reach 100 degrees?

Every damn time I do butts I tell myself that I need to take notes, but then I never do and I only do them every few month so I can't remember from one overnight to the next.

I'm at 113 already and only 3 hours into the cook. Does that seem fast? Cooking at 250 like always.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Lee:

I am NOT the person that could help with the notes!

brisketnotesa.jpg

brisketnotesb.jpg

:( :sick:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    Lee, I think if you start taking notes you will find that no 2 butts are the same, I'm talking not even close at times. Sometimes one will come up to temp fast, other time it takes a great deal longer. Then tey get in to the plateau and stays for ever. The well used term around here is " It's done when It's done " and that the way you have the look at it . hope this helps.

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    127 on the butts just under four hours in. Does this not seem like it's going fast to you all? As I said, I seem to remember going to be last time and they were already at about 150ish and they didn't finish until lunch time the next day, but I'm still thinking this is really quick.
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    Lee, I really would not be concerned if your dome temp is where it needs to be.....

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    If you are that concerned, open the egg and move your temperature probe to a slightly different spot in the butt. Yesterday the probe in the butt I was doing was at a funky angle in the meat because I had three racks of ribs going on top of it. It was a full ten degrees short of where I wanted to be when I went to pull it off the egg. Luckily I still had time.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Hey, that looks like my note pad!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Here is one butt cook. You can see I kicked the heat in the pants towards the end of the cook.

butt1104.jpg