Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braising in the egg

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, it is late in the west. Maybe a new question for the risers in the east. Here goes, Braising by definition is placing a covered pot in an oven (near 300 or 350 degrees) for an extended period of time, Usually, the pot is covered and/or a sheet of parchment over the pot ensures that evaporating juices condense and return over the braising subject to baste and flavor. Here's the questiom: when converting a traditional braising procedure to the egg, do you leave the pot covered or uncovered or some combination.
CampCook -- dave

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    CampCook,[p]When I do beans in any cooker, I leave the lid on the dutch oven until they begin to simmer, then remove it to give them the smoke. I am careful about watching the liquid level.[p]Check the old posts, Early this week I followed a technique posted by Mad Max (with plenty of pictures) for an oxtail stew that was cooked without a lid for about 5 hours. This afternoon, I smoked some trotters to add to a pot of great northerns I'm doing on the Egg this weekend. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    CampCook,
    Well you have to define what braising is and what it is not. Braising is browing meat (or other foods) in a small amout of fat and then cooking it, in a covered pot, in an amount of liquid that does not cover it (covering less than halfway is traditional).[p]If you remove the top you are no longer braising, you are stewing.[p]I hope that helps.[p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    CampCook,
    Do lamb shanks from time to time. First I brown them in my Dutch Oven in then (leaving out a lot of detail here) add my liquids slap the cover on the DO and let her go. I check to make sure the liquids stay up and towards the end I remove the top to let the whole thing reduce a little. Good Eats.