Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Article on NC Que

RaleighGuy
RaleighGuy Posts: 207
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This article was on the front page of our local paper this morning. It is a good read.

Where the Home Fires Still Burn

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

Comments

• Thank you for sharing that article :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    My only beef with the article was that he compared the low and slow pits to a foundry. I don't think he's ever been in a foundry, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Thx for sharing man. Of all the BBQ Epicenters in the USA, NC is the only area I have not sampled. I find it interesting that the pits described sound much like the pits in Central Texas - but yet, allegedly the influences for the BBQ are historically very different.

For the record, I like it ALL when it's done well. I have some boys from Hickory, NC that are on my Arkansas duck lease and they bring their Vinegar based sauces but have yet to talk them into freezing some pork and carrying it over. Then there's 3 guys from Memphis, where I lived for 3 years and dig that style. And then me an my fellow Texan are always called upon to bring a couple of briskets. We all relish in getting what we can't get for the rest of the year....and make quite a party out of opening weekend!

Oh man, I CAN'T WAIT! :laugh:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    I read the article in the N&O prior to seeing your post. After 35 yrs of living in NC (Raleigh) and cooking four pigs for "pig pickings", I sure do miss NC BBQ. And now this article makes it all the more difficult. :(
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    I like it all also. My wife and I were just talking about taking a trip to Texas sometime. Neither of us has ever been, and we need some Texas in our two step!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Come on down Eddie. While there is good cue in other parts, Austin is kind of the center of Hill Country, German influenced cue. You can Hub and spoke out from Austin and make a real trip of it for several days.

Towns to include: Lockhart, Llano, Lexington, Taylor, Luling and Driftwood.

Hint - wait til October, it's HOT here! ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Barbecue'd meat is wonderful no matter where it comes from, lol!
    The Naked Whiz