Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please check my plan to light w BBQ Guru

SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could someone check my plan for lo n slow...

1. Put in starter cube and light. Let burn for 10 minutes.
2. Plug in Guru and set temp and clip on thermometer.
3. Put in platesetter and close the egg.

OR should I just light the starter cube and close and let the blower do all the work?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    sounds like a good idea to me..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    What "I" would do is to light the starter cube, put in the plate setter and close the egg..and when you're some 50° from your desired temp then install and turn on the guru....if you turn on the guru from the very start you are creating a blast furnace type effect and are sure to overshoot your desired temp...
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    you can install the probes from the beginning just don't use the fan right away..
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I use my Guru more like a cruise control and not like an auto pilot.

I get the coals started, plate setter in, wait for the pit to come up to temp and the fire settle in, add the meat, then let the temperature rebound to my cooking temp.... This might take 2 or 3 hours. Then, I put the Guru on and all it has to do is maintain what I've already got going.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Ok, here's my opinion, lol. I'd start the starter cube and wait for it to go out. Now you have a small amount of charcoal burning. Put on the Guru, add the platesetter and the probe and let the Guru do it's thing. I may overshoot some, but that's no big deal. The temp will drop when you put the meat in. The Guru will get things stabilized relatively quickly. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • SomedayMommy
    Yes. I should have taken the cruise control approach. Took awhile to get the egg up to temp. But it's great now...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I light in more than one place, as I have had a vertical burn with and without the guru.

I am in the camp of lighting and when the temperature is to the point of getting up to cooking temperate, I then start the guru (or stoker).

• SomedayMommy
    Yes. I should have taken the cruise control approach. Took awhile to get the egg up to temp. But it's great now...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Be careful, with all that boiling corn talk something is bound to go wrong.