Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt cooked too fast-my bad

macminn
macminn Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put 2 7 lb butts on about 1 am this morning. Set the grill temp to 250 using the stoker. Unfortunately I messed up, thanks in part to my friend Mr. Beck's (the one in the green bottle).

Anyways, the fan on the stoker wasn't seated correctly in the opening is my guess as to what happened. I got up this morning, opened the door and swore I heard the stoker alarm going off. Couldn't be. Sure thing, the meat probes were both at 205, grill temp was 350.

I guess my question is, now what? Being a newbie on these longer cooks, etc., will the meat be good? We have no problem having it for lunch instead so we're good there if the meat is still palatable.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    No its not palatible. I will be by in a couple hours to pick it up and take to the authorities. Also, if you could have some sauce, buns, slaw, and iced tea that would be great. ;)
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Pull it and taste test, but you should be fine. A few weeks ago I was having a big party and realized at the last minute that I didn't have enough so I did a butt in about 6 hours at over 300 degrees. It turned out fine.
  • macminn
    macminn Posts: 12
    Georgia,
    now that's what I needed a little humor after being down on myself for screwing this up! Another positive is it freed up the egg to cook dinner on it as well.
    Lunch and dinner on the egg, life is good.
    Still worried how that but is going to pull though.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    NP, you might want to wrap in foil and put in the oven at 180deg intermittenly to keep it out of the danger zone, depending on how long you are going to wait before eating it. Danger= 40-140degF for 2hrs+.

Personally I would wait till just before eating to pull it.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    stop over thinking :) it will be fine. I am cooking mine today for tomorrow. I am sure everyone will rave that it is the best ever and you just do not say a word. the egg makes us look good :whistle: nothing worse than a cook who can not take a compliment LOL just say thanks it was a long low and slow but the results are worth the work I had to put into it LOL
  • I would double wrap them in foil and then a towel, put them in a cooler and you should be good for at least a few hours if not longer. I have a 10 plus pounder that I'm gonna take off and wrap myself in a couple of hours. Have a good 4TH.