Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Precooked polish sausage

dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to go cook my first polish sausages ever and when I went to go grab what my wife bought I was disappointed when I saw they were pre-cooked. Since I had already lit the egg I decided to simply cooked them raised direct. The plan was to simply cut and use this sausage as an appetizer with block cheese and crackers prior to my cook tomorrow (and serve myself a litter dinner tonight).

Y'all see any problems with that? Can sausages be purchased non-cooked? Also, when I saw that I realized the brats my wife bought were also pre-cooked. That is supposed to be part of my meal tomorrow. Should I go find some non-cooked ones?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    The problem one has with uncooked pork sausages is that ..... well, they are uncooked. Therefore one has to be sure to cook them to "doneness". With the cooked variety you just have to get them hot and with decent grill marks.
  • dsmith
    Here they are...they tasted okay.

Tomorrow's cook is brats and about 14# of crab legs. I know, funny combo of food, but what the heck.

IMAG0123.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Often kielbasa and other sausages are pre cooked. Or they are smoked (and have to be labeled fully cooked). As long as the source is trusted, this no big deal. In fact many home sausage makers smoke them prior to freezing.

DSC07309.jpg

Although I make several flavor of fresh sausage, I often buy sausage from Sam's that is fully cooked, made from chicken, is gluten free, and is very reasonable with respect to calories and fat. The flavor is great and when properly grilled to 165°, are very good.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    Heck, that doesn't sound weird at all. Go to a shrimp or crawdad boil and you will get sausage right along side... and how about gumbo, they're both in the same bowl. (at least at the house of ~thirdeye~). Heheheee.

DSC04591a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• dsmith
    Good point. Boy, do I love gumbo! Gives me a thought...I need to try making some. I am SOOOO very new to cooking. Always left it to the wife. Not any more with my BGE!
  • dsmith
    Thanks for the heads up on that. My wife is has celiac disease so can't eat gluten. Do you know if there is any MSG in there. She is highly sensitive to that as well.
  • thirdeye
    My label says no MSG. Calories are 110, total fat is 4.5g, cholesterol is 65mg, sodium is 770mg, total carbs is 1g, and protein is 15g.

For this variety (and there are several) the cheese breakdown is pasteurized cow's milk and cheese culture.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• dsmith
    Awesome. Thanks.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    3rdeye,I tried some of that Sam's Ckn/asagio.It ain't bad.Would have NEVER tried it ,but the lady was passin out samples.She wuz cute too! :whistle: :laugh:
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    Damn, that looks great!
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    In this case I normally wouldn't worry about pre-cooked, unless you really want to make something your own. Egret and his Maple Burbon ham recipe calls out for a "ready to eat" ham that is usually hickory smoked, so sometimes it doesn't matter.

Oh, don't know about this ham recipe? Absolutely the best ham you will ever make. I have people that don't eat ham eat this when I make it.

Search this forum or do a Google search for the recipe. You will not be disappointed.