Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife doesn't want ribs. Suggestions?

Options
CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Used an old Weber for years and was never able to regulate my temperatures very well. Consequently, the quality of my ribs has been all over the place over the years.

The last time I made ribs they were pretty awful, and to make matters worse I accidentally used iodized salt. My wife is allergic to iodine and the ribs actually made her sick. :sick:

Anyway, I'm trying ribs on my Egg for the first time today, but my wife has lost her taste for them (at least for now). Is there anything else I can cook for her at roughly the same time and temp as the ribs?

(If the ribs turn out good I'll give her a few of mine and I'm hoping that will change her mind about them.)

Comments

• eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    Options
    Trade your wife for another rack of ribs LOL :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Cook some brats.

bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

1104snowbrats3.jpg

Or tuna melt - good old comfort food.
    tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

Always good eats.

GG
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Egged tuna melt?!!!!????!!!??!!. Thanks GG, never even thought of sandwiches. You just opened up a whole new world to me. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You will never want a non egg'd tuna melt again.

Grilled cheese and tomato is great also as is BLT's or BLAT's (avocado BLT's)

GG
  • CrazyHarry
    Options
    HA! I'm going to tell her you said that -- so watch your back. ;)

I'm trying to figure out if there's anything else I can cook, with some smoke going, at about 250ish for 4 or 5 hours. (So I can put it right on with the ribs.)
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Have you thought about Country Pork Ribs? Really just pork shoulder that has been cut done into strips. 4 - 5 hours indirect on these should give you just about the texture for pulled pork or sauce them up and serve them whole.

There is also Country Beef Ribs available but I would not put those on for the first couple of hours, as a result the smoke flavor will not be as strong.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you can find them, and fit some one, beef back ribs (dino bones), cook at about the same temperature, but a lesser time than pork ribs. Short ribs also will work, but it may be a good idea to foil them for 45 min. because they are sometimes tough. Boneless short ribs are also good, but again, can be tough.

If you are willing to slow the cook down, you could put on chicken thighs at about hour 3 of the rib cook, and baste them every 15 minutes. Also baste the ribs. It will probably add another .5 hour to the cook over-all, what with the added moisture, and temperature drops. However, the chicken will stay moist enough. My opinion at this point is that frequently basted ribs on the Egg are not as good as ones just left to cook. The basting will not hurt them, though. Just prevent drying from being in the open air for a few minutes.

As to your history, welcome to the club. I spent decades trying to make decent ribs on any number of different metal grills. The results were, at best, passable. The Egg made an immediate 200% improvement.
  • CrazyHarry
    Options
    Interesting idea about the country pork ribs! Was planning to do a pork butt this weekend, too, so maybe I could just slice off some strips and put them on the grill with the ribs.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    A pork loin can be cooked more quickly, but it's always one of my favorites. Regardless of what you do....good luck with it. The Egg can make you a hero. :laugh:
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Scottborasjr wrote:
    Egged tuna melt?!!!!????!!!??!!. Thanks GG, never even thought of sandwiches. You just opened up a whole new world to me. ;)
    Me too! :woohoo:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    If the wife doesn't want ribs, tell her not to eat any! See what that gets ya......
    Good Luck