Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crabs

yellowneck
yellowneck Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I haven't tried smoking the brisket yet. I have a wagyu brisket on order for this weekend. I am going to try it out and see how it works out. So far it seems like I am not putting enough lump coal in the bottom. Do I need to use another charcoal starter? I am only using one load of lump, should I be using two loads? I am only using enough lump to cover the grate on the bottom. I am going to also try using the jack daniels wood chips.

I did however get a little adventurous this weekend and tried smoking some crabs with apple wood chips. Turned out pretty good. Gave it a different taste then the regular steam cook. Some friends tried the crabs and absolutely loved them and am now being told to smoke the crabs from now on rather than steam them.
photo.jpg

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Fill your firebox with lump! The entire bottom 'bowl', just below, or up to the fire ring (the 4 inch peice of ceramic that fits on top of the fire box). Kind of surprised you've been able to get decent temps! If you fill the firebox, you can go 24 hours or better on a low and slow, and still have enough lump left for another cook or two! Don't skimp on lump. Just close the Metal Top and bottom vent when you are done cooking, and relight the same lump for the next cook! It won't be wasted!
    The crabs look great! But you won't cook a brisket if you are only single layering lump.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Wow, a bowl full of crab for one of your first cooks, and a wagyu for your first brisket. Did you learn to drive in a Ferrari? :P

(I'm gonna try a couple crabs on my new Small :evil: )

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• No I did not learn to drive in a ferrari but I have owned many cars, only exotic is the Gallardo but only had it for one year. Found out it wasn't as practical a car as I thought it might be.

I am however more than willing to spend the extra money on good food. This is because I now drive a Honda. Found it to be a little bit more practical but not by much.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    I got crabs at Dirty ****'s. Oops, random daydream about local eatery. Never mind. :laugh: :silly:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Little Chef is right - you need to use more lump. I made the same mistake when I first started egging - thankfully the folks on the forum set me straight. Those crabs look great! Would not have thought to smoke crabs, but sounds as though everyone liked them. Good luck on the brisket - will be looking forward to pics! :)
  • Were the crabs par boiled or steamed before they went on to the egg? Any seasoning besides the apple chips?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Another reason why I miss Maryland. As Mary Chapin Carpenter once penned..."where you don't nuthin but some beers and a bushel". Thanks for jogging memories. Those guys look really good. Did you use Old Bay on them ?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow, yellowneck, those crabs look awesome.

BTW, what's a yellowneck? Plenty of rednecks here in Dallas, but not sure what a yellowneck is. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Had a drip pan with a six pack of heinekins, old bay seasoning and apple chips with some lump coal. no pre steaming or boiling. It was a bit of a challange keeping the little guys in the egg in the beginning.

What is a yellowneck? It's an asian redneck. A name given to me when I was on active duty in the Marine Corps. I was told that I was the only asian they had ever seen driving a lifted pick up truck.
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Austin Egghead wrote:
    Another reason why I miss Maryland. As Mary Chapin Carpenter once penned..."where you don't nuthin but some beers and a bushel". Thanks for jogging memories. Those guys look really good. Did you use Old Bay on them ?

Blue crabs are hitting $200 a bushel around here (Balt) from what I hear. I cant eat em. I am allergic. I guess I will have to settle for some rib eye Trex style...

BTW- you would not miss MD if you lived here these days. Amazing what the crooks in Annapolis are doing.....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    yellowneck wrote:
    It's an asian redneck.

:laugh: Kinda what I figured. :laugh:

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Pete21784
    Pete21784 Posts: 14
    Im a Maryland guy and that picture has wett my appetite to try it myself. Having traveled all over this great country I can say only we Marylanders have a fanatitsism for crabs that is not shared anywheree else! What temp did you run them at? I assume you fired up the lump, used your plate setter, placed the pan with beer on top of the plate setter and then the crabs on the grill grate? Also, if you use an ice pick and go straight in through one of the backfins towards the eyes and twist slightly to the right and left, you will cut the innards and the crab will be immobilized and they will not be going beserk on the grate. When I worked at Phillips Seafood in Ocean City, MD, we used to do this so the crabs would not shed their claws. Let me know when you get a chance. Great post my friend! :)