Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Spot Help

semper fi shane
semper fi shane Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE owner and I'm "eggsited"!

Just wondering how I can eliminate the hot spot on the coals, usually to the left side where the coal starter was placed..how can i get the coals burned evenly?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Not sure how you are loading the lump or lighting.

Use indirect cooking will help.

Lighting in several places and if the cook will permit use less lump in the fire box. I usually light 3, 6, 9 O'Clock and center.

Welcome to the forum.

GG
  • i'm loading the coal evenly,about 1 inch above the vent holes and lighting it in 2 spots, about 10 o'clock and 5 o'clock..
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Shane: Welcome! If you think you are eggcited now, wait 'till you start eating the amazing food!
    As far as the hot spots, as GG said, light in more places. We use a weed burner, and have used Mapp gas in the past with great results. Also, sacrifice a long handled metal spatula. Once the spots get going, you can stir the lump to redistribute the lit ones, which will catch additional lump, then leave the lid open a couple minutes. You'll have an even fire in no time.
    Again, welcome, and Happy Eggin'!
  • Thanks LC, great idea...slow roasting chicken tonight...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I seem to have a hotter spot towards the back of the when lighting evenly. On shorter cooks I light left and right of center about 1/2 way between center and the side.

You may try lighting at 4 and 7 o'clock.

That low of a lump level and cooking at fire ring level should give you a good cook. Keep in mind you can easily rotate that grate if needed.

In general the eggs cook pretty evenly.

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    If you truly want to slow roast, don't get the fire going too hot! We prefer our birds roasted about 400* indirect, but again, chicken is another cook that there are about 100 ways to accomplish. Do what you are most comfortable with. Best to you! It'll be great.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I light mine with a chimney starter and when I drop the hot lump in, I stir it up a bit to make sure I get an even light. Other people just light in several places, but either way giving it a little stir with a long piece of metal might help.