Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Abes last cast

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,671
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
been a hard week, kidney failure, then a huge heart tumor, enlarged liver, fluid building up in the cardial sack and abdomen. started collapsing last night after a few hours in the row boat. made the appointment this morning, could hardly walk without falling over but somehow made it to the dock for some last few casts, even had it in him to steal and hide a bass somewhere on the patio. took him of the k/d diet for the kidneys and put him on the cheeseburger diet. roastbeef, cheese, burgers, sweet potato meatloaf, last dinner was centercut lamb chops off the egg two nights ago. was hoping he would make the weekend, dog loved fireworks. going to really miss this dog

001-27.jpg

DSC_0013_00.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

100_0964.jpg

100_0847.jpg

e1f051cd.jpg

2005211254.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Sorry for your loss as there is never a good time to say goodbye to a loved pet. Jer
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I am so very very sorry. there is just nothing to say that can make it better or take the edge off. knowing it is coming does not help in the least... but time and all the wonderful memories you have with him will get you through it. there are a lot of egging dogs up there to welcome him and I know my moms Sugar dog is swapping fishing stories with him I am sure.. hugs
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Amen. Beautiful dog. Sounds like you treated him right.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    So sorry...I know you will miss him but you sure gave him a great send-off. That took a lot of courage and love. Cherish the memories.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Really sorry to hear this, it is about as hard a thing to go through as any. Dogs spend their whole life being your best friend and loving you, just wish they would live a little longer. -RP
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Very sorry for your loss.
    Not a big animal person but liked your dog just from the photos over the years.
    Will miss Abe as well.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a furry four legged member of the family. Take heart in knowing that you gave him a good life and cherish the memories.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Someone once shared this with me... so now I'll share with you.

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... "

My deepest condolences for your loss; I know how it feels. :(
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    We are so sorry to hear that bad news. We just lost our beloved Dublin a year ago and it still brings a tear to our eyes. Losing a loved 4 legged companion hurts.

Our sincere condolences, Ron & Pat
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    So,so sorry for you fish. :( Everyone here knows how special he was to you. Wow, may have to go for a walk outside the plant..... :(
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nice tribute, thanks for posting the pictures. I am very sorry. Loosing such a loyal friend is hard.

My best, Kent
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. Losing a devoted furry companion is one of the hardest things to go through. Abe was a beautiful dog and based on the pictures and posts I've seen, you were both equally blessed to have each other. It warms my heart to see people that truly love their pets. My heart goes out to you.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • What a GREAT LIFE Abe had! :woohoo:
    Even hiding fish from you (or for himself :whistle: )up till the end!

He's gonna have a wonderful time with the other EggDogs in that Big Backyard in the Sky :)
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Beautiful life, beautiful pics. I'm so sorry for your loss, it's been a tough year for egger dogs it seems,. :( My rem loved to steal fish (and inards too :sick: ) hope they are romping together...hugs to you.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Eternal love will bring you two together again. May God bless..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have said before that shot next to the log is one of my favorite shots anywhere.
    So very sorry for your loss.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    So sorry :( I know you have wonderful memories and some great pics to go with them
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    That's awful, so sorry to hear that. Brittanys are such nice doggies.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    So sorry for your loss, you will always have wonderful memories and I'm sure he had a wonderful life with you and your family.
    Jim and Kay

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Great pictures, terrific memories...so sorry for your loss...
  • reminds me of my springer, Buddy. he left us about 8 or 9 years ago. loved riding in the car, running in the cemetary, hiking in the woods, accompanying us cross-country skiing and snow-shoeing, climbing mountains...canoeing-he loved canoeing as much as riding in the car! If you left without him he'd swim out after you!
    then when we had kids, he accepted his position as he got shoved further down the ladder. when my youngest was a toddler, he was getting old and she had no problem treating him like furniture. I'd hear this "OOOoof!" and turn around to see the dog had been snoozing when she plopped down on top of him like a beanbag chair.

Abe may have been fortunate in having a great life, but I'm still sorry for your loss.

xmas-2-2_2.jpg

I forgot- he loved to pose for photos! don't know if he loved it but he was good at it. He was excellent posing for Christmas cards! the little one is 11 and just pitched in an all-star game. the one holding her is working on getting her drivers license and the guy who borrowed my bow tie is chasing squirrels and rolling in mud in heaven.

they are a very special, irreplaceable part of the family.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    That sucks. Sorry for your loss.
  • really sorry for your loss fish!! ....i'm still missing duffy...looking for her every night under my footrest! ...i know abe was very loved and will be missed. ..you guys shared a lot!!!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    So sorry for your loss. Looks like you had the type of bond that people dream of when owning a dog. Hopefully, you will have another at your side very soon, not to take Abe's place, but to help fill the void with a new relationship.

Ken
  • Ohio48
    Ohio48 Posts: 20
    Very sorry to hear this.
    Rocky my German Shepherd will get a big hug from me tonight.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    fishless: So very very sorry to hear. I know it's been a difficult several months for your friend. You have been just as faithful to Abe. My thoughts are with you.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Really hate to hear this from you and for you. A very good definition of "mans best friend". I am sure he will be missed.
    Tom
  • Sorry to hear Fish - dogs are such good companions and its tough to lose part of your family
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Really sorry man. I know how hard it is. The last go round with Bear turned out to be a bee sting but we know it's coming soon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Aww, fish, I'm so very sorry. What a beautiful animal!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut