Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggHead Help Needed

Chief Chef
Chief Chef Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
EggHeads Unite! I have been challenged to a ribs throwdown (by a non-egger) over the hoilday weekend. Very comfortable with CWM method which I feel is good enough to win. I am interested in any other suggestions you all have to improve the odds. Rubs, bbq sauces, mops, spritzes... Help me out!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I say stay with what you know. Don't change your game without a trial run.
    Only tip would be stay away from the sodium solution cryo packed ribs.
    Bring home the gold with the GREEN...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    For these informal "best of backyard" contests, the key thing is to know the judges. If they are your basic public and expecting "fall off the bone" ribs, then you will have to either try to educate them or just foil the ribs a little longer.

If they are bbq knowledgeable folks on the other hand, then you have nothing to worry about.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    PhotoEgg hit the nail on the head by suggesting to stay away from the sodium solution cryo packed ribs. My grocer was out of their regular ribs... I was craving ribs... bought a pack... ate two bites and threw them away. the sodium solution is horrible. I now buy most of my ribs at Sam's Club.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    As NibbleMeThis said, know your judges. I use cherry wood in my business because it's sweeter. If the judges tend to like sweets or dislike too much spice that's the route I'd go. When cooking for my wife and her friends I always use apple or cherry. I also use a lighter sauce than I would for myself.
  • Chief Chef
    No time for a trial run with anything new. Have you ever brined ribs? Not sure if that is a good step or not but was thinking about trying.
  • Chief Chef
    Thanks for the input. One potential judge got me started in the whole smoking business so he is well versed. The rest may be looking for the "fall off the bone" style. Either way it is a "no lose" situation.
  • Chief Chef
    Thanks. I mostly use hickory/apple but was thinking of the apple/cherry approach as I have a lot of cherry chunks on hand. I also usually do my ribs dry and provide the sauce on the side. May have to do some probing to see which way the competition will be presenting their ribs.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm far from a brine expert but I don't believe its needed with ribs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    if you're going probing then use that effort to find out what the judges like - not what your competition is presenting.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Steve, I say do what you always do and don't change a thing. If you win you win with what you are good at, and that is YOU not some other planned deal to suit the prevailing judges. Just be yourself and be happy with that. Good luck.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer