Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egging for vegans/vegetarians

biggreenmatt
biggreenmatt Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gentlepeeps:

Hosting a big housewarming party next month (have you got your invite yet? I swear it's in the mail) and I'm putting a barbecue-themed menu together, featuring the BGE (well, duh).

I need some barbecue ideas on what to serve my vegan/vegetarian friends. Vegetarian chili is vegan, pizzas can be made vegetarian, grilled veg salads are also vegan, but I need some more ideas on what I can serve that's more than plain chips.

Ideas?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Stuffed Jalepeno's
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Fire roasted salsa comes to mind. One of my wifes favs (she is vegetarian) is halved acorn or buttercup squash with stuffing in the seed cavity baked on the egg. Think thanksgiving stuffing minus the bacon. Grilled veggies are always good. You can always bake some cookies as long as you are set up for pizza.
  • Baked beans do nicely on the Egg and are a traditional BBQ side dish that even carnivores will eat.
    An array of vegan bruschetta might be nice--you can grill oil-rubbed bread slices on the egg, then top with a variety of grilled veg (eggplant, red peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.)
    Stuffed portobello caps...roasted sweet potatoes, either whole or in chunks....and don't forget grilled fruit for dessert. Give me a grilled peach any time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    do they eat fish or true vegan no meat dairy etc. cheese might be a problem, i would call mr vegan and rudely ask, what do you eat :laugh: some kinda calzone, stromboli, greek spanakopita might work, just not sure about the cheese :ermm:little chef posted a spanakopita recipe a while back that i would eat in a heartbeat, maybe im a meat eating vegatarian :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    would still ask so i wouldnt have to egg tofu :laugh: heres a recipe for the spinach pie that may hide the texture and flavorless tofu crud with all the other flavors. if the eat fish there is a fish veracruzana recipe floating around here someplace

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/veganspanakopita.html
    fukahwee maine

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    At the DC Metro Eggfest last October, there was a family that created vegetarian shish-kebabs with various veggies and substituted tofu for meat. I thought the tofu was either chicken or mushroom, until ... well ... I tasted it. :sick:

Seriously though, if you season it well enough, the tofu will work on a kebab.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Simple roasted veggies w/good olive oil, salt & pepper and either fresh or dried herbs. Most people will swear there's more to it than that.

Roasted peppers stuffed with a mixture of black beans, onions, etc.... and whatever cheese you can use (or not).

Portabellas you've 'studded' with garlic slivers cooked w/gill-side down first, flip and then cover most of the gill area with a good pesto - cooked until pesto is bubbly.

If you're going more traditional BBQ, no reason why you can't adapt the above to use an oil & rub instead of studding w/garlic and use a BBQ sauce.

Get some ideas from your vegan friends too - find out what they like and do your best to adapt it to the BGE. I'm sure you won't have any problem impressing them!

Good luck!
    Ken
  • E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Mac n' cheese is great in a Dutch oven on the egg. You can roast some veggies and put them on the side so your friends can add what they like. Also you can cook up some bacon,pulled pork, or brisket for you meat loving friends to add as well. I did this for mothers day and it was a hit.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    a few of my favorites not already mentioned:

Grilled Asparagus (have hollandaise on the side for those that aren't vegan/vegetarian)

Grilled zucchini and/or and/or eggplant

Armenian Potato Kabobs, or Roasted Herbed Potatoes (in a CI skillet)

Grilled tomato slices, served with basil & mozzarella slices so people can mix & match grilled caprese salad...

or if you're particularly adventurous, try Bobby Flay's Grilled Ratatouille recipe ;D

Good luck!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Here is something I have ben mulling over.
    Portabella pizzas.
    Large portabellas, remove the gills and EVOO'd. Placed sliced baby romas, or cherry tomatoes in the bellas and sprinkle with Italian spices, herbs and pepper flakes.
    Grill until mushrooms begin rendering juices and tomatoes are soft. Then add combo of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Melt cheese and serve. Just a thought
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    some 80% burgers - or maybe a pork butt - should do it. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    Slice a few heads of romaine lettuce in half lengthwise. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and grill cut side down, turning after a couple minutes, until slightly wilted with a bit of charring. Put on plates with sliced avocado and tomatoes, and drizzle with salad dressing of your choice (I use Italian dressing).

Inspired by a recipe from Williams-Sonoma.

- dan
  • fishlessman
    i looked up this vegan thing, crazy people. :laugh: no animals, no fish, no meat byproducts including things like milk or cheese, creamed vegatable soups, not even honey :laugh: how would one feed them, and if they were throwing the bbq, would they go out of their way to cook up meat for the carnivores
    fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Grill them up some Boca Burgers (Vegan burgers found in frozen section of grocery store)

Depending on how hard core they are, you might want to make sure not to put any of their veggies on an area of the grate that meat just came off of without scraping it down first, just a thought.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I generally serve the vegans to everyone else. :lol::evil:
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Yeah, it's tricky when cooking for vegans, especially. No cheese no fish.

Vegan chili is one option along with any one of the million of grilled veggie recipes. Also thinking a rice dish- either NO red beans and rice or a vegetarian paella. Tricky to really show off the bbq to bloody vegans!