Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg-citing Egg-cessory

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At the Ocala EggFest, we saw Charles in SC making mini-pizzas on a griddle. The 10-watt bulb above my head flickered briefly, and upon returning home I scrounged up our griddle. Sure enough, it's great for two fajita-size tortillas topped with sauce and various pizza toppings.[p]When the bulb flickered again, I went to the Lodge web site and found 9OG3, a 10 1/2 diameter griddle just right for our small. Just right, that is, after the handle was cut off and the raw edges ground down. Now Lennie the Small has his very own cast iron griddle. (Incidentally, the price is substantially better at amazon.)[p]Taking the story full circle, last night I fired up the large with griddle in place. I prepared tilapia filets just as I would for pan frying: dredged in flour, dipped in egg wash, and coated with panko crumbs. Onto the 350 degree, lightly oiled, griddle they went, to flip once and come off about crispy and crunchy on the outside and moist and flaky on the inside. (Total time was about 20 minutes.)[p]If you don't have a griddle for your Egg, you really ought to consider adding one to your arsenal.[p]Ken

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    cast iron griddles and skillets work great in the egg!! . . [p]here is a whole red snapper that nature boy and i did a year ago. . .cast iron skillet heated at around 400 degrees with some olive oil. . a whole fish, scored, buttered, stuffed with lemon slices, and rubbed, of course, with some dizzy (either raging river or tsunami spin, i can't remember now). ..grilled and turned once till done. .. it was delicious[p]DSCN0350.jpg[p]i've also used that pan for the searing portion of a trex cook. .. heat it up to 800 degrees, throw a couple of oiled and rubbed filet mignons on for 90 seconds per side.. ..fantastic... [p]and here is the potato gaullett i did in the egg. .. delicious.. ...[p]DSCN0875.jpg[p]yep. . .lots of uses for cast iron pans and skillets. ..:-)

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    round_griddle.jpg
    <p />BlueSmoke,
    Thanks for the tip. I just found a 14" dual sided griddle. 1 side flat, the other with raised channels. Should fit nicely on the large Egg without and machine work. They also showed a 17" -er that seems would work well on the XL...for those that have one.

[ul][li]14[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    1225soapstone.jpg
    <p />BlueSmoke,
    ive been using one of these soapstone pizza griddles for about 3 years. i cook pizza with it upside down,use the top as a griddle, and sitting on 3 bricks its my platesetter. 15 inch dia. it cracked about 2 years ago about halfway across, but the copper has held every thing together. every once in a while i sand it down to clean. its not recommended for use over a fire, but on the bricks its held up decently

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    That's the one I have for the Large. Picked mine up at a army surplus/camping store for (I think, it's been quite awhile) $15 or $16.[p]Ken

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    My local Wall Mart had those griddles for about $10. They work great. What did you use to cut the handle off?

• katman
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Where did you get those guys? I picked up an all clad from a kitchen supply place that was going out of business. Marked down to $30 so I couldn't pass it up. However, it went away as a gift for someone and the regular price is a bit high.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    katman,
    Props to RRP: he did the cutting. (My ineptitude is exceeded only by my dearth of tools.)[p]Ken

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    what is the purpose of frying on the egg? does it impart a smokey flavor into the fish? [p]thanks,
    jason[p]

• fishlessman
    Options
    katman,
    it was a gift, i think it came from william sonoma. i found the picture here

[ul][li]soapstone cookware[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    jason,
    While you could add some smokey flavor, I like frying on the Egg best for taking the heat and grease spatter out of the kitchen. Plus it's really convenient for dinner on the porch.[p]Ken

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Cast iron cooking in the egg is fun. And for fish, you cant beat the great way cast iron keeps the fish moist but makes the edges crispy.[p]I did about the same as you only I cut the handle off a large skillet. Do you like salmon? Try 425 degree dome temp, direct, griddle on raised grid. Cut filet in half for easer handling-about 6" pieces. Melt 3 tablespoons of clarified butter, (gee), and brush about one tablespoon on salmon that is almost room temperature and then sprinkle with seasoning- Dizzy Pig Raging River. Drop in one small chuck of pecan or alder wood between grill bars. Pour the remaining gee on griddle or skillet and lay the salmon on skin down and letting go of the filet so that last part down is away from you so splatter is directed to the back of the egg and not towards you. Lower dome and enjoy the aroma.
    No need to flip. Cook for about 15,20 minutes - untill salmon flakes and is opaque. Check with a fork. Don't over cook. [p]Serve with wild rice salad, slices of lemon and Merlot.
    Clay Q

• Charles in SC
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    As you know I am knew to egging but I have used that cast iron pizza stone as a griddle in my other cookers for things like breakfast bacon and eggs, and my favorite is to sear steaks on. To do this I heat it up HOT, coat steak with olive oil and steak seasoning, sear steak on all sides and edges, then turn down cooker temp to about 350
    (this is hard to do with only one egg) and finish cooking steak.

• katman
    Options
    fishlessman,
    thanks for the link--much better price (by at least 100 bucks) at this site than I have seen for the all clad version.

• Clay Q
    Options
    katman,
    Metal cutting hack saw works fine,(hand saw). Or metal cutting blade in saber saw,(electric saw). Sand rough edges with emery cloth, 100 grit.

• fishlessman
    Options
    katman,
    if you get one, make sure that you use a platesetter, or other barrier between the fire and the stone, the litterature recommends oven use only for the griddle. the copper looks nice, however it will turn black with use and you will never get it to shine again

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    kinda like a magic trick - right?[p]Now you see it
    IMG_0189.jpg

[p]Now you don't
    IMG_0190.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    RRP,
    Very nice work!
    Clay

• Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Options
    RRP,[p]So what do you use as a substitute handle while it's hot? Channel-locks?[p]Tom
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Q-rious Tom,
    I use welder's gloves, but the BGE gridlifter would work.[p]Ken

• katman
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Thanks. I'll give it a go with the hand saw.

• katman
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Don't matter if I can't get it to shine again--I'll never be skinny again unless I give up the egg and my brews.