Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the BGE

BigBobBBQ
BigBobBBQ Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am so new to the BGE that it isn't even put together yet. I have a Gator Pit smoker and a Weber grill. I finally got rid of my propane grill. My table is put together and stained. My first grilling will be ribeye steaks. Do I follow the BGE cookbook or has someone gone beyond and found the ultimate method?

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    How thick are the ribeyes? Search a Trex steak, they are awesome. Some others love the hot tubbing method. Welcome to the forum.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I just dug out my BGE cookbook to check what it says. :laugh:
    Yes, that method works very well if you have 1 1/2to 2 inch steaks.
    If you have typical supermarket steaks that are half that thickness just grill them like you would on any other grill.
    650 is a good temp for your first cook. If you like them more seared and red in the center, crank it up a little next time. More towards medium? Hold the temp down a little so they don't burn and leave them on longer.
    We like ours med rare, so I use approx 650 and grill four min/side, flip only once :)
    Welcome Aboard, I hope this gives you a place to start :cheer: :cheer:

BTW, be sure to let your egg stabilize at your cooking temp for at least 20-30 min, longer if you can to be sure to burn off the impurities in the lump.
    That acrid smell in fresh lump will ruin the taste of your meat if you don't. :ohmy:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Calibrate your dome thermometer and don't use the bands, handle, hinge as a lifting grip when moving or putting the egg in the table. The eggs will break if dropped.

You need to be a little careful with going to high temperatures on a new egg, say above 500° or so. The gasket adhesive has been known to soften resulting in a failed gasket.

T-Rexing a steak is great, unless you are creative the process creates high heat in the egg for the searing.

Hot tubing with an end sear produces great results.

Caveman style, just like T-Rex, other than you put the meat directly on the red hot lump. There is little if any ash on the steak when using this method. If there is some ask it knocks off easily. It hard to get ones mind around this working but it does.

Another that works well and produces a great sear is to get and extra grid, from an old cooker or a replacement from somewhere like Home Depot. Load you lump to just above or a little higher than the holes in the fire box. Light the lump in several places a little down into the lump. This will produce a great burn in the lump bed. You some red glowing lump to a orange lava look in the lump bed. Place the extra grid directly on the lump bed. Let the grid get hot and plop those steaks down on the lump level grid.

Normal store bought steaks 3/4" or so thick will take about a 60 to 90 second sear on each side to come up with a medium rare to medium cook on the steak. The sear will be fantastic.

If the steak needs to be more done, leave the grate at lump level and put the BGE grid on the fire ring and roast the steaks until they are done to perfection.

Get a steak cut it into quarters and give some of these methods a try. It's fun to learn and testing produces some great snacks. You will find what you like in short order.

Be aware of Flashback, details can be found of the 'Naked Whiz' site.

Here is some information that will help you along your way learning using the egg. There is no magic to all this.

FAQ - Tips & Helpful Information

Again, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new Egg. Sounds like you are an experienced griller, so my suggestion is to just go with what you know as far as methodology and technique. The Egg will just add to the flavor, texture, and ease of accomplishing a successful cook. :)
  • BigBobBBQ
    I have been buying choice rib eyes and cutting my own steaks. Doing that I can cut them to any thickness. What works the best in the BGE?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    not sure if mentioned but might try a lower temp cook to help seal the gasket. maybe chicken for couple hours at 225-250 ish dome.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I cut mine at 1-3/4 to 2" and Trex them.
  • i have been playing with an XL and have had to learn on the fly...on my old Weber, everyone loved them...now i cant seem to get one right for the wife...

i use 2" thick on the last cook, seared both sides a 650 for 4 min then closed down air and kept on until internal temp reached 140...i thought they were great, wife said they tasted baked....

guess i didn't use enough hickory...

be sure and set the seals at a low temp before you run it up for steaks...

someday we will have to compare notes on the gator pit and the egg...have fun....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Welcome to the family!!
  • BigBobBBQ
    Thanks for the info on letting the lump charcoal burn off for a while. I will follow your temp this weekend. Thanks
  • BigBobBBQ
    T-Rexing?
    Hot Tubing?
    I am going to do 1.5 inch ribeyes this weekend but will start with lower temperatures first. Thanks for your info.