Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's paella...

guzzijason
guzzijason Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
.. was particularly photogenic, I think! :lol:
266306_2051929010637_1016862963_32302499_484260_o.jpg

And the wife thinks this was the best Paella Valenciana she's had since she actually used to live *in* Valencia years ago. High praise, indeed!

BTW, was essentially the recipe for chicken paella from paellapans.com. I just usedfresh sweet peas ratherthan green beans, because I already had some on-hand.

Normally, I do seafood paella - this is the first time I used chicken. I'll definitely do chicken again. (Might get that photo framed too!)

__Jason

Comments

• Chuck222
    Chuck222 Posts: 67
    Beautiful...

Thanks for sharing a great dinner.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Great looking paella. I like to do a seafood one and use the little drumettes from the chicken wing.

Finished.jpg

Plated-1.jpg
  • guzzijason
    Next time I do a seafood paella, I need to gdt some of those head-on shrimp. Looks great! :-)

__Jason
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    photo framed - good idea

looks great

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice. You do direct and high up?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Nice one.

Paella was a nightmare until I got the egg. I still tend to pile too much stuff on them, though. If some is good, more is better, right?
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great looking meal Jason
    Keep the pics coming, this one is awsome :)

Shane
  • guzzijason
    Mickey wrote:
    Very nice. You do direct and high up?

Yeah - I use the spider accessory from ceramicgrillstore.com, with the pan in the "upper" position. Trying to follow the temperature instructions in the recipe from paellapans.com is a little tricky, because they are obviously geared towards gas burners. One nice thing about the traditional carbon-steel paella pans is that they conduct heat quick, and are thin enough that they can respond quick to changes in temp. Saved my butt last night... accidentally left the draft door open too far, and wasn't paying attention to how hot my pan got. I was able to quickly pull it from the heat and avert disaster!

__Jason
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That is a gorgeous looking paella. Wish I could taste it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    great looking paella
    nice job!!!!
    congrats
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    The Naked Whiz converted that exact recipe to do on the Egg. He did an awesome job in that article about paella. I love paella on the Egg. Yours looked awesome.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm
  • guzzijason
    Vetereggnarian wrote:
    Nice one.

Paella was a nightmare until I got the egg. I still tend to pile too much stuff on them, though. If some is good, more is better, right?

Yeah, its an easy temptation. I treat my paella the same as my thin-crust pizza - don't overload. As I mentioned, my wife spent some time living in Valencia, so she's been a big help in guiding me to produce something relatively authentic. In Valencia, it's all about the saffron and sofrito rice... getting the right consistency and texture, with the necessary "socarrat" or crust on the bottom. Everything else is just a supporting player.

She said that last night's version was the closest I've made to what she remembers in Valencia. The crust was very dark, and I was afraid I may have burned it when I first started dishing it up, but she said it was just right. It tasted great to me, at any rate! :-)

__Jason