Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Procyon lotor Captured and Distanced

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We called her Ramona for the brief time she was in our capture, but for at least a month before we actually met her in person it was simply "Irritatus Critterus."

Spring Hen took the nightly ravages of her garden as a personal insult and set upon a plan to capture he/she/it. The stage was set with sturdy trap and tasteful bait time and time again without results (except for when we captured a rather PO'd cat). Sometime during the wee hours the mechanism did its job and captured the illusive varmint: a Procyon lotor, or for those of you who are curious about Classification:

Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Procyonidae
Genus: Procyon

Or for the rest of you: Raccoon.

RamandoRaccoon.jpg

Rejoice with us for now we can continue to grow $22.00 per pound tomatoes and $5.00 per bunch cilantro. She has now been transported far away to an exotic waterfront property that abounds with similar creatures, abundant food and refreshing water.

Spring "Challenge Met And Won" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    "$22.00 per pound tomatoes and $5.00 per bunch cilantro"...too funny...glad you captured the critter... ;)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Ha! You only thought you me the challenge. I'll wager that within a couple of weeks she is back. From one who speaks from experience. :(
  • Zogman100
    Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Options
    Glad you opted to release her back into the wild instead of making one of those fancy hats with the tail in the back. :laugh:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Conservative estimate...

Spring "Brown Thumb" Chicken
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Send the cage. Something is eating my wifes tomatoe plants and she is about to relegate me to sleeping next to them to protect (?) them. :ermm: :sick:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Aaa Haa... I thought of that and drove many miles, crossed many busy streets, an Interstate Highway, a rail yard, and a rushing creek before turning her loose near a sign warning of alligators.

Me thinks we shall not see her again.

Spring "What's That Spot On The Street" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You mean one of those Danny Boone hats? I grew out of them at least five years ago.

Spring "Kil't Me A Beer When I Was Only One By Three" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That sounds like deer. Too big for our cage. You need a "Boo Mask." Wear it while waiting for the critter to show up and then jump out and go

"BOO!"

You're welcome for the advice.

Spring "Leap Forward" Chicken
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

A vegetarian raccoon? I hope you got the right critter Leroy. Cute little thing, looks like it might be one of this years pups and living proof that not everything in Texas is big! :laugh:

I hope that was the varmint for Spring Hens (your) sake. ;)

Blair

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    When she comes back [notice I did not say "if"] and you catch her again, spray paint her backside for positive ID. The rule is like baseball, three times and you are "out!"
    We should get together for a meal, I will bring some of my $100/lb grouper to go with your toamatoes and cilantro, then we can all brag about the expensive dinner we attended! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ha... I know what you mean. Hobby Farming is just faster way of getting rid of your money than Hobby Gardening.

Fishing is another story. If you don't fish from the river bank using a cane pole and fresh-dug worms, you're spending way more than you have to.

Spring "Grow My Own Cane" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I know, they're supposed to eat meat and that's what we used for this capture. Steak bone. She'll never again eat that good.

So now we have to bait the trap again for a vegetarian critter. We learned that possums love Oreo cookies. Worth a try. If it works we will name him Joshua.

Spring "Joshua Split The Bag Of Oreos" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    :laugh:

Funny...

Spring "Tail Bone Not Connected To Tail" Chicken
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Spent 3 weeks and $500 getting rid of a mama and four babies from my attic last spring. Best bait was JetPuffed marshmallows...raccoons love 'em and cats won't eat 'em. Smearing a little marshmallow fluff (the kind in the jar) onto the trap's release plate worked, too.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Marshmellows... Hummmmm. And I can eat what's left.

Thanks.

Spring "Double The Pleasure" Chicken
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Had a German Short-Haired Pointer/Boxer mix named Charlie Brown. He loved to roam the hood in CC, jumping into the semi-treated sewage water found on the golf course....and visiting the lady dogs (hence, my parents received a paternity suit :unsure: )...and delighting all the kids for miles around.

One day, my parents grew tired of the $$$$ Charlie Brown was costing them, so a "Friendly Neighbor" offered to "find a new home" for Charlie...

Now, we lived on the South Side of CC...my grandparents lived on the West Side...Charlie had ridden with us to my grandparents house a couple of times, but not regularly......

This Friendly Neighbor took Charlie Brown WAY OUT WEST, into the harsh countryside of South Texas, and dumped Charlie Brown somewhere along the road.....

About a week later, my granddad called my mother and told her "You'd better come over here. Some friend of yours arrived at our back door hungry and thirsty."
    SHOCKED that ANY friend of HERS would DO THAT, she hurried over....to find Charlie Brown on the couch with a full belly!

Now Leroy, I'm not saying that Ramona is a critter of supreme intellegence -- like a German Shorthaired Pointer/Boxer, BUT, those garden delicacies can match my grandma's delicacies any day..........and, being a revered Egg Master, you KNOW the power of a GREAT MEAL
    B)
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Yea, I am figuring deer too. Funny thing is, I didn't think deer ate tomatoe plants. LOL The "Boo" mask usually doesn't work, 30-30 works a lot better but that season is after tomatoe season. :unsure:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Well, good for Charlie Brown. He had a "Master" to get home to. Ramona has had no such "Master" and there will no longer be food available for any critters of the night. So there's nothing to come home to.

Spring "Nothing For Snoopy Either" Chicken
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Did you sneak the creature up to northern Eggers house in Conroe?
    When he breaks into Frank's bloody mary mix there will be hell to pay... :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    with what you had invested in the prycon loto you should have considered the selective taste for the wild beast comsumated on a bge with suitable accoutrements... ah the sublime taste of victory wrapped in bacon....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    No way... He lives in a gated community with armed guards checking every approaching vehicle as if it were trying to enter Area 51.

Plus, it's further away than the chosen spot.

Spring "I Didn't Know Gate Guards Had Canons" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Nope! Don't eat no beasts that can't be artificially enhanced and sold in a grocery store, even with bacon wrapped around it.

Spring "If I Had Some Eggs I'd Have Some Bacon And Eggs If I Had Some Bacon" Chicken
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I thought it may be another skunk
  • smokeystover
    Options
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    Me thinks we shall not see her again.

Talk about your famous last words!
    :P
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    She will NEVER return here but her sister might show up. If so, we will take the opportunity to unite them in the new place which is far, far from here.

Spring "Capture Is Half The Battle" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    A skunk will NOT be handled or placed in my trusty vehicle and will therefore be released at his leisure to pursue other realms, just as I have done in the past. However, I will once again suit up and outfit for the release.

WhiteHunterinblack.jpg

WhiteHunterApproachingCage2.jpg

GreatWhiteHuntersSkunk.jpg

On the advice of counsel, I opened the cage door and walked away as fast as was prudent. The next morning the cage was empty and the neighborhood benefited from my actions, as did I, because the critter never returned.

Spring "Wheeeeee!!! That Was Close" Chicken
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    5 cents on Ramona :whistle:
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Leroy, the picture of you in the Skunk suit is a CLASSIC!!