Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

it always comes back to the spatchcock

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spatchcocked chicken....life has been keeping me away from my Egg, which I finally fired up this weekend. Did a spatchcocked chicken, ga nuong style, and it was just perfect. Chicken was briefly marinated (less than 10 mins) in a mixture of lime juice, sugar, salt, and fish sauce, with a little of the mixture basted on the outside during the first 20 minutes of cooking (at 375, direct). ETA: photograph.
Side note: what's the max number of spatchcocked chix ever fit into a Large? Can I cook a double-layer of birds this way? Please advise, if you have done a double layer, raised grid spatchcocked cook.
p6262246.jpg

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    That really looks great, Celeste, and I'm going to try it within the week. I've already downloaded a recipe I found. I always have to hide the fish sauce from my wife. She loves everything I make with it, as long as I don't tell her I used it. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Ha--my hubby is almost that bad. He loves Thai & Vietnamese food, he just can't stand the smell of fish sauce straight out of the bottle, or added to a hot dish as it cooks. The finished products are fine, though. Funny how the nose works!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    congrats...that's a pretty nice chicken!!!
    great cook...