Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which thermo should I trust, Maverick 732 or BGE?

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, new to both tools, the Maverick ET-732 and the Big Green Egg. I'm doing a few racks of ribs right now. The BGE thermo reads 245*, the Maverick digital reads 219*. The Maverick is through a potato about 2-3" off the grate. The racks are set upright in rib holders, indirect with the plate setter upside down.

I didn't calibrate either device. I'm not particularly worried, I know how to save ribs that are cooked at 250* instead of 200-225* (but not ribs cooked at 350*). Is there a consensus that either device is generally off? Left to my own thoughts, I trust the digital, but who knows if "who" doesn't ask!

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Up at the dome level is much different at the grid level. Calibrate both boiling water next time to check. Cook at the dome level since you can not control the grid level.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    If it is a question of trust, then trust the 732. Mine was just dropped 15 feet onto a paving stone (please don't ask how) and has not even a scratch and works fine. I am not joking about its fall.
    I am still learning on the BGE, but dome temp is sacred. Mine is always slightly under when I calibrate it. Many other factors influence the temp at grill level. Including potatos! I did not get that one.
    Andy
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Putting a food probe in or through some food may affect the temperature. The probe tip needs to be about 2" out of the spud and the same difference away from the meat.

Your ribs are vertical and there may be some cooking difference from top to bottom. At some point in time rotate the ribs.

If you haven't checked the Maverick or the BGE I would trust the BGE. The grate temperature will be lower than the dome thermometer.

Before you cook again or take a minute now and check the temperatures in boiling water. Calibrate the BGE if necessary.

Enjoy your ribs.

GG
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    It is fairly common to have a 20 degree difference between the grid level and higher up in the dome. Also, placing a probe close to a cool piece of meat can affect the temperature reading vs. actual temps in other areas inside the egg.
  • SfScott
    SfScott Posts: 11
    Options
    How do you calibrate either one?
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Thanks man, everything is pretty stabilized at 217/230, so I'm letting it stay right there. I'll check them both before the next cook.
  • BBQ Hippie
    BBQ Hippie Posts: 49
    Options
    To tag on to this thread. Does anyone put their pit probe thru the dome thermometer hole and use it instead of the BGE thermometer?
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I must be one of the lucky ones. I have a Stoker and Maverick 732 for my Eggs. On both of the Eggs I have the original thermo. (not the new one they put in the new ones now) and both of them have been very accurate (I tested them both using the Stoker, Thermapen, Maverick 732, and boiling water test). I had my first Egg for a year and the 2nd one for 8 months.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    ya got two, pull one and test it for accuracy, put it back, pull other and test it. boiking water thing.

probably both right, welcome to the world of vertical temperature gradients in the cooker. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm on my second BGE thermo and both were worthless. I've calibrated and think that the only accurate temp is the one I calibrate them to.

I go with the stoker probe when it matters. Otherwise, I go by feel or it's just for searing anyways so let er rip.