Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ultracopper gasket - easy peasy

certified_prime
certified_prime Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My gasket fried within about a month of cooking on it, after a couple of high-temp sears and pizzas. I've wanted to replace it mostly to help with shutdown.

After looking into the rutland and coltronics, I decided to just buy a tube of the Ultracopper and use it to make a gasket itselft. I scraped off the remenants of the old felt, cleaned the rim, then applied a thick bead of ultracopper all the way around the bottom. I covered it with wax paper, and shut the lid to press down on it. I let it sit for a day, then opened and slowly removed the wax paper all around. I did a bit of trimming with a utility knife around the edges, where it seaped over. Now, I have a perfect seal.

It does not cushion the lid, but does form a great fairly airtight seal all the way around. Filled in all the little gaps.

Highly recommended. And if you mess up, you can just peal it off, or cut off a section and redo. And I only used about 1/3 or 1/2 of a tube.

Comments