Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probe Routing?

Austex_Egger
Austex_Egger Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a consensus on the best way to route temperature probes? I've seen both ways on pics 1) through the "door" and 2) through the top vent.

The only concern I have with the through the door is the weight of the top on the probe wire (no idea if that is a valid concern). Through the top I'm thinking it would inhibit temp adjustment and lead to vent setting changes should you open the Egg to check progress.

For the 4th I'm going to do a couple of Pork Butts and a Brisket (packer).

Also, how important do y'all think it is to have a probe measuring the temp at the grid? I'm thinking that keeping the dome temp at 275 for low and slow should do it. I couldn't live without a grid temp gauge when using my Bandera offset smoker, but I'm thinking it is not that necessary with the Egg. True?

Comments

• brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    i have been putting the probe wire between the lid and base for years with no issues. I have never used a grate temp as I base all cooking of the dome temp. I think it is personal preference.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Dome temp minus 20-30 on a slow smoke will tell you grid temp. ;)

If you have some good cushion, then go right through the rim. If you have no gasket then go through the daisy. I dunno, I've done both with no problem.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I put the probe wires through the dome and base no issue. If using indirect insulate the wires from direct heat by placing the wires over the area that is protected from direct heat.

Always use the dome temperature as you have control over that. You don't have control over the grid temp.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Just run them between the dome and lid. You can choose whether you want to monitor the dome temp or grid temp just remember most temps given here refer to dome temp.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    "Always use the dome temperature as you have control over that. You don't have control over the grid temp.[/quote]"

Dang Phil,that just ain't right :blink: .When you adjust your vent settings,you are changing your grid temp also(not just your dome temp) :huh:
  • FlaPoolman
    Thats kinda what I was saying Sparks. I gotta quit just beating around the bush :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    :P I agree Pat,I go by dome temp,but that really doesn't matter.If you want a lower/higher dome temp,you adjust the vents accordingly.When you do that,you get a lower/higher grid temp also.I'm not sure why Phil thinks that you can only control the dome temp :blink:
  • FlaPoolman
    maybe the grid is on a different egg :huh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    :woohoo: Ahhhh,now that makes sense :ohmy: :laugh:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    That's ane easy one..he thinks that because he's an absolute idiot.....he also preaches you can't get temps above 350 without cleaning your egg out like it was new every time..this forum has enough trouble without people spreading absolute wrong information to newbies that really know no different..and trust me..he doesn't listen when experience tells him he's wrong..
  • "Sparky"
    I route the meat probe wire like this.The weight of the XL dome hasn't hurt it yet :)

DSC_0056-3.jpg

And yes,you can get by(as I have)with going by the dome temp.I set the dome temp at 250 for most low and slows ;)