Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

keeping pork tenderloins moist -ideas please

HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm wanting to do some pork tenderloins on my BGE and I understand it's difficult to keep them moist - any and all suggestions welcome

Thanks much,
Doug

Comments

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    very easy to do... cook on raised grid at 375-400. turn often and pull at 138-140... wrap in hdtf for few mins .. cut and enjoy..

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    pork "tenderloins" are absolutely not difficult to keep moist..cook them direct hot and fast..pork loins on the other hand are a different story as the are very lean...
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    No problem, do as Outrageous and Wess have said but watch them closely as mine are usually done in 20 min. or less.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • HarleyDoug
    thanks guys - how about low & slow smoking - I've also heard wrapping in bacon

thanks again
  • I do a whole pork tendorloin planked on an oak board. The plank keeps it indirect, but the heat puts a good crust on it. I cook at about 500 degrees, and cook to an internal temp of 130. Then pull it off, wrap it in foil, and wait 1/2 hour. Internal temp will raise to 140 (which is the new FDA recommended min temp for pork, down from the old 160 which was just too dry).

The rest time is very important. Don't skip it.

Comes out darn juicy and moist. My friends and family rave about it. I serve it sliced at parties and it is gone in minutes.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    you don't want to do low and slow with a tenderloin..not saying you can't and come out with a good product...but typically thats not the "preferred" method for pork tenderloins...not sure what you want to end up with on the plate..
  • jasperga
    jasperga Posts: 21
    I agree with Wessb -- low and slow is not as good as direct

Suggest 400 deg -- pull at 145-150 -- note that the USDA just lowered the official food safe temp for pork to 145 with a 5 minute rest -- I just did one tonight with only EVOO, chili powder, salt and pepper -- it is my family's favorite thing I do on the BGE -- and I am a newbie -- also make sure you turn it a few times, but not too many times
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I did one a few nights ago with a coffee rub from the recipe sections and it was EGGCELENT.. it did not have a coffee tasted as much as I expected and it was very moist. Pull it off a little on the early side. As everyone on this site says..cook to temperature.. it will be great.photo-3.jpg
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I think you may be confusing pork loin and tenderloin.
    If tenderloin then :
    Sear tenderloin over at 400F, shut the egg down to 325F and cook tenderloin until IR thermometer reads 135. Remove and tent for no longer than 15 minutes. Easy Peasy cook :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Certified Prime: It's actually the USDA (and yes, the FDA has to agree), and it is officially 145*, not 140*. I readily admit, though, to eating pork at lower internal temps. Officially though, it's 145*. (And THANK you for taking carry over cooking into account...seriousely!)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Harley Doug: Tenderloins or Loins? Regardless, if they are dry, they have been overcooked. Lean pork such as loin and tenderloins are perfectly safe at 137*, though the USDA has officially declared 145* as their 'safe' place. Dry = overcooked.
  • HarleyDoug
    Thanks everyone!