Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder in-a-bag

Cpt'n Cook
Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did Pork Shoulder with mint pesto the other night. Couldn't seem to find a butcher with waxless butcher paper as Grampasgrub suggested so I wrapped with parchment paper and then with craft paper. I pulled it at 195 internal, wrapped it in newspaper a put it in a cooler for an hour or so. It was not pull-able but sliced nicely. It was very tender, tasty and juicy. The mint pesto was excellent, would be great on lamb. It was a good use of my ever expanding Mint patch, I can only drink so many Mint Julips :laugh:
DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

Forgot to take pics of the finished product! I ate it.

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook, would love some more details on the recipe for the cook. I don't recall seeing Grampasgrub's recipe. I've got a 11+ lb shoulder that I'll probably cook during the week of July 4th. Something new and different would be appreciated.

If I recall, Mint grows like a weed. Good to find a second use for the leaf.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Paul,

Use any Pesto recipe and substitute Mint for Basil. Wrap as shown, two layers, if you can find unwaxed butcher paper it would probably be better. I cooked at 270-280 indirect for about 3 1/2 hrs and pulled at 195 internal. It produces a lot of liquid and made a nice dipping sauce. Go a little higher if you want to pull it.

It was about a 3 1/2 lb shoulder.

It was kind of a fun cook.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Now that's what I would call champion brown
    bagging.Randy
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    interesting...

I've done fish and vegetables "en papillote" in the oven, but never thought of a pork shoulder.

Did any smokiness from the Egg get through? I'm just thinking it would come out the same in the oven.