Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gas Grills Advice

skyhawk
skyhawk Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a place on the ocean and I use my BGE there, however at times I just want to grill a hamburger or something fast so I need a gas grill. I am going to build it in but I need some advice. I don't want anything that will deteriorate in the salt air. I have some neighbors who have bought some inexpensive gas grills made out of stailess steel but they have really deteriorated in the sea environment. Anybbody have any advice on a good gas grill?

Thanks for responding.

Skyhawk

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Forget gas, how about a mini or small egg? They don't rust.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Get you a small or mini BGE, ceramic will not corrode in the salt air, any metal grill will, no matter how high quality. :)
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    I agree with Philsgrill 100%. Lot easier to take care of and don't forget how good the food will be.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Easy solution. You know what Big Green Eggs are capable of, yet you want the convenience of gas.

So why not get yourself a gas fueled big green egg? ;)

Check it on youtube. Awesome.

http://youtu.be/vrrpOU6Ewrk
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    In 20 minutes time I can grill my two one pound hamburgers and have them rested for ten min. ;)

I'm not going to talk you into a gasser. Sorry :unsure:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm not sure how to feel about a gas fueled egg. I'm conflicted!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Me too, but it's worth mentioning.

Wanna know what my old gas'er is relegated to?

A storage cabinet for my eggcessories, and being a fence blocker, so my dog can't escape. Look in the background. lol

IMG_5984.jpg
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Rezen73 wrote:
    Easy solution. You know what Big Green Eggs are capable of, yet you want the convenience of gas.

So why not get yourself a gas fueled big green egg? ;)

Check it on youtube. Awesome.

http://youtu.be/vrrpOU6Ewrk
    That is really interesting! The threaded vent stops got my wheels turning...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Funny! He goes to all that work to fabricate all the first class equipment, and he uses the standard thermometer. Oh dear.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    Funny! He goes to all that work to fabricate all the first class equipment, and he uses the standard thermometer. Oh dear.....

That and took it up to 650 degrees. How long to cook a butt roast at that temp?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Dude,

Gas grills are for storing egg tools, lump and wood chunks. :whistle:

The mini has a damn turbo and can cook for a family of four if you try. We did 4 brats and a jumbo chicken breast half tonight. ;)
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Converting BGE to gas is sack religous. I would just get a small, they heat up fast and still enjoy the taste of meat instead of gas fumes. That's like asking someone at Inn and Out where you can find a McDonalds.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    skyhawk, I see a lot of high end gassers in the 4-5K range here in Fl and while they get the lifetime warranty are still replacing parts every few years. If you go that route just by a cheapie and replace it every year or two.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    My last gasser was a Webber Summit, All the internals had to be replaced after 5 years, I got my two eggs instead.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I agree with the other posts just get a small egg but if you do want to get a gasser I would not suggest a cheapy. $200 grills will last one season by the ocean and cost $200 to fix the next year. I would get a weber genesis for $600 and all internals have a 5 year warranty and all major parts have a 25 year warranty. I had a weber genesis e320 down in florida and then here in georgia and after about 3 years there was some rust on the frame and the internals looked bad. Weber sent me new gas pipes, a new manifld, and a whole new bottom frame and panels with just a phone call (No photos or anything required just a 5 minute call). I paid like $25 out of pocket because they do not warranty the v shaped things that go over the burners. When grill shopping bring a magnet with you. Anything the magnet will not stick to will not rust. After weber replaced everything I sold the grill for $500 and got a mini. Think this is the only picture I have of my gasser when my egg table caught on fire.

CopyofTableFire1.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    If you insist on a gasser bring a magnet with you. If the magnet sticks to the stainless it is very low quality and will rust out.

I would go foe a small egg instead.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Being a newbee here, you probably had no idea of the mass hysteria your post would stir up. Weber makes a few models Of the 'Q' grill and they are small, portable & easy to use. Good luck!! 8 - )
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Skyhawk, you say you just want to do a hamburger or so occasionaly, or something similar.
    If that's the case, I'd suggest a $30 table-top gasser. It doesn't need to say out in the environment all the time, and, after a couple of years, not much to toss and replace.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    I got a Coleman portable for Christmas, but that was for tailgating and it folds flat with wheels. If it were for use at home I'd have to jump on the small bandwagon
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    wow.. that is pretty cool
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Pat,

What's the 10 year plan on that? :S

vs. say a damn mini that will do the deal for darn near ever at world class levels :P
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 76
    edited April 2022
    skyhawk said:
    I have a place on the ocean and I use my BGE there, however at times I just want to grill a hamburger or something fast so I need a gas grill. I am going to build it in but I need some advice. I don't want anything that will deteriorate in the salt air. I have some neighbors who have bought some inexpensive gas grills made out of stailess steel but they have really deteriorated in the sea environment. Anybbody have any advice on a good gas grill? #apartment friendly grills

Thanks for responding.

Skyhawk
    Grilling season is here and my grill is falling apart. It was an all-stainless perfect flame that lasted about 5 years. Hoping to get a little more life out of the next one.
    Looking for something durable and somewhat easy to clean. Doesn't matter if it's stainless or not. Does anyone have recommendations??
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    I wish you were in Ohio or near by.  I'd help you tremendously.  I have a porcelain coated gas grill that is lifetime. 4 existing, 8 new burners, 3 venturi tubes.  Runs on gas or propane.  4 burner that would be perfect.  Built my outdoor kitchen and this vents from rear.  I had to vent from the front.  Only reason to get rid of it.   But to answer your question.  Porcelain coated won't rust or weather.   

Columbus, Ohio
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665!!! It is awewome.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    brisket30 said:
    Converting BGE to gas is sack religous. I would just get a small, they heat up fast and still enjoy the taste of meat instead of gas fumes. That's like asking someone at Inn and Out where you can find a McDonalds.
    Whatever you do, avoid being sack religious.  Do not worship the sack.  Or you do you, it really depends on what state you live in.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    jdMyers said:
    I wish you were in Ohio or near by.  I'd help you tremendously.  I have a porcelain coated gas grill that is lifetime. 4 existing, 8 new burners, 3 venturi tubes.  Runs on gas or propane.  4 burner that would be perfect.  Built my outdoor kitchen and this vents from rear.  I had to vent from the front.  Only reason to get rid of it.   But to answer your question.  Porcelain coated won't rust or weather.   

That looks like what used to be the Turbo grills that BBQ Galore made and sold.  Those burners are solid, and if rust is the issue, you used to be able to get them in cast brass making them bulletproof for the coast.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Look at the webber Q series.  I have 2 and use them as much as my XL.   They are cast grills and should not rust. One of mine sits where it gets rain and we are only 12 miles from the saltwater here south of Houston.  The 330Q is really nice.  I also use my Griddle a lot.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Another "cold case" thread!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22