Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The perimeters are secure, alone with my egg!

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted up a question a little bit ago about how to deal with nosey neighbors, neighbors who are bothered by constant grilling, and simply being bugged while you are in your own backyard BBQing. I got a lot of sound advice about taking over some ribs to them, inviting them to a BBQ and I headed it for sure. The new neighbors were invited over, they got some tacos al pastor off the egg and all is well.

However, it got me thinking that when I'm out there grilling or smoking meat I really do enjoy just being alone. I don't particularly like having to talk to neighbors or being bothered while I'm in my own backyard. Likewise, much to my wife's dismay I do occasionaly go out in my underwear to check a pork butt in the middle of the night.

So I decided to secure the perimeter and keep my egging off the prying eyes of any neighbors.

Here is a shot of what use to be around my yard on the shared property line. Just a chain length fence and a wood 3ft fence that didn't give you any privacy.
IMG00216-20110221-1408.jpg

Decided on a 6ft privacy fence all the way around my backyard. Pine posts with cedar slats, shadow box style. Particualry proud of the look as the fence goes up onto the terrace in my backyard. Here is the view from the street. My house is on a corner lot so one side faces a busy street.
IMG00593-20110622-1730.jpg

The property line with my neighbor, around my big green shed.
IMG00594-20110622-1735.jpg

6ft of privacy around my XL, never to be bugged again.
IMG00595-20110622-1735.jpg

I'm very happy with how it came out and it definitely needed to be done. The street side of my corner lot house had a privacy fence along the back yard which was falling down and needed to be replaced. I figured why not do the whole backyard while you are at it. Likewise, it will serve me well in the years to come as my son plays back there.

Looking forward to my first BBQ with my new fence this weekend.

MP

Comments

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Frost said it best: good fences make good neighbors. Sure wish I had a shadowbox all the way around my backyard...have 8' along one side (to block the barking dogs, Lol), but when I'm out weeding the garden in my PJs, it would be nice to be alone!
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    It all looks sweet, but I' am wondering how you fit your family in that house! :laugh:
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Haha, it does kind of look like a little green gnomes house. Its a pretty cool structure for just being a shed. Lots of window, has power outlets. It use to be the former owners wood working shed. I have converted into my beer and BBQ shed.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I agree, privacy is essential for a nice & relaxing egging experience, either alone or in my oppinion better still if shared with the ones you choose. Glad you solved the problem
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    that looks great! bet the neighbors like their side too LOL happy egging :)
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    It is definitely a huge improvement over the ugly chain link fence so I'm sure the neighbors like it.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    REALLY nice job on the fence! A work of art.

Of course another round of egged food will always keep them happy. ;)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That looks great! Now you really have a nice and private place to do your egg thing! :laugh: I'm with you, I like a lot of privacy! ;)
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I stopped worrying about whether or not the neighbors saw me in "compromising" attire, or no attire at all.

I figure that the mere act of "witnessing" such an event would be appropriate enough punishment.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've found that if I go outback in my underwear my neighbors will pay for installing a fence :woohoo: :whistle: :laugh:
  • Devil'D Egg
    Options
    Excellent, our fence keeps at the annoying neighbors, but I have not figured out how to drown out the screaming kids!
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    A lovely fence indeed. I would think if you were on a skivey temp check and the neighbors get upset, then they are a lot more curious than typical neighbors, and probably in line for peeping tom complaints. Enjoy your back yard, this is America damn it, and congrats on the new offspring. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    The fence looks GREAT.Smart move with the shawdowbox build. ;) You will enjoy it.
  • privaterooster
    Options
    25 acre backyard works well
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    Great fence, I put up 318' of wood fence and then planted red tips behind it... they are around 30' tall now and i no one can see me check the egg, rain, snow or find a place to..well whatever...

looks good, it does look like you need to put a roof over the egg so you can sit out in the rain and sun and pop a top or two..

im jealous, Doc took me off brew until i get the weight back down...getting old is not for sissies (((a bumper sticker my mom had years ago and i didnt understand until now))))

enjoy the young one...they grow up way too fast...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder