Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rack of lamb

Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had success with rack of lamb on the egg before but was wondering if people had any suggestions as to method. I will be using olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, chopped rosemary and thyme to make a coating on the lamb.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    We cooks racks quite frequently. I always go direct, dome about 375-400*. I sear like a steak, then prop to racks around the outer edge of the Egg (bones up so they don't burn) close the egg, and let roast until I hit 115-118* internal. After a 10 minute rest, they're a perfect med rare. (They carry over quite a bit since you are driving the heat in so quickly.)
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    I haven't done a rack of lamb for quite a while but the last one had a rub similar to what you describe except for the addition of mustard. For the cook, I did sort of a reverse t-rex. I roasted the rack in an earthenware pie pan on top of a pizza stone at 275 until I got a 120 degree internal. I like to use apple wood with lamb. Then I removed the rack and the other stuff, cranked the egg up to about 500, put the lamb back on for a couple of minutes to sear,... Medium rare and tender as...well, a rack of lamb!
  • Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    interesting... when I did it last time I did it indirect at 400 until 125 temp at thickest point then pulled and let rest for 10 minutes. I put aluminum foil over the bones. The direct method sounds good as my guess is it would promote a crisp crust...
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Like to marinate them overnight and then cook direct high in dome 375-400F until 125F internal. Wrap bones in foil so as not to burn.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=700869&catid=1

Lamb marinade:

Marinade, Lamb, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
    1/3 Cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 Cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 Pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Zaatar, (Optional)
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

Preparation:
    1 Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.
    2 This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.
    3 Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,
    4 If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.
    5 Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2001/05/25