Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib Confusion

Cookinupnorth
Cookinupnorth Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK so I received some great BBQ Beef ribs the other day.
Today is the day I make the ribs! Confusion at every turn for this newbie!

many recipes are saying 250 for 5 hours....but quite a few are saying 350 for 2 hours....some even say 250 for 3.

I am guessing this is not a science but any hints would be appreciated.

Cook UP North!
Andrew

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Many meats can be cooked at a range of temperatures. Only the time needs to be adjusted. So there are many variations in the recipes. The rule of thumb is that tough cooks do better with low temperatures and longer times. Lean cuts usually do best hot and fast.

Can you clarify a little? What kind of beef ribs? Back ribs? (aka Dino Bones) Short ribs?

Back ribs are usually pretty easy, especially if most of the meat has not been trimmed away. I do them much like pork spares. Rubbed, dome 250+, indirect, minimum of 3 hours, usually more like 4. The large sections of meat are steak like, and don't require lots of cooking to be good. If the meat has been heavily trimmed (leftovers from cutting steaks), I do them higher temp, around 350, let the meat get a little crisp, and cover them with a peppery sauce.

Short ribs of any kind can be problematic. They tend to be a lot tougher. I find that an overnight marinade helps them be a little more tender and juicy in the end. They can be done lo-n-slo, indirect, dome 250 for how ever many hours it takes. They often can be pretty tough even after 5 hours, and benefit from some time in foil. However I've had some good ones as quick as 4.

Because of the difficulty with short ribs, the past few times I've done short ribs, I've done them sous-vide before the Egg. Rubbed, and then 72 hours in a bag in a water bath at 142. Then onto the Egg for a few minutes of searing. Always tender, succulent, and tasty. Like foiling, or braising in a D.O., but much more effective.
  • They are dino bones...those times help...I will pick them up soon from the butcher so not sure..but requested meaty...will post a pic tmmrw if not too embarassed :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If they are good and meaty, I think you will be very pleased.

CloseUpServed.jpg

As you can see, the meat is steak-like, but has enough fat and connective tissue they can stand the slower BBQ treatment. And, they are thick enough that its easy to take their temperature, and be sure of not over-cooking.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I cook beef back ribs (Dino) quite often and usually let them cook at 250 for 4-5 hours.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    with a big meaty dino rack, i go 235 at the grid level and its somewhere aroud 6 or 7 hours for me. heres how i cook the flat ribs, ox tail etc

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=846815&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • do you mean 235 direct heat...no placsetter thing a mabob?
    dripping pan?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i dont have a platesetter, but for that cook i put firebricks under a pan, line it with foil, and no liquid. ribs standing and flip and rotate often
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Great post that I had missed originally. Definitely going to try this.
  • /Users/andrewtunermbpro/Desktop/IMG_0342.JPG/Users/andrewtunermbpro/Desktop/IMG_0343.JPG
  • Ribs turned out really well for a first time...did them at 240-250 for 3.5 hours...had a drip pan with apple juice in it and some applewood chips...was nervous about them being dry do I removed them when they felt tender...BUT they could have used another hour...but were super tasty. Thanks to all for you input..haing so much fun playing with my EGG! :evil: