Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small EGG hatched at our house

Options
LoisLane
LoisLane Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Added a small EGG to our household this weekend and did it’s initial heat up to burn off any residual manufacturing dust. (I am picky about new product potential fumes.) Hubby Tom will be breaking it in tomorrow night.

Thanks to those who responded to my questions early this month about the small as a 2nd unit. It will be a nice addition for when we don’t want to heat up the large, or when we need two cookers going at diff temps.

Anything in particular we need to know about operating the small vs a large ? I read a few remarks that some folks have trouble getting the small up to high temps for a good steak sear and such. Others seemed to think that was not an issue.

Any “oopses” to avoid in advance - like when your eyes in the supermarket were bigger than your small grill turned out to be, :woohoo: :ohmy: or any humorous tips of that nature ? We don’t quite see how Corp says a 12 lb turkey will fit in there (I guess on a V rack & not like on a Drunken Chicken stand - due to the thermometer probe being in the way ?)

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It is much easier to accidentally move the firebox so that the opening is no longer aligned with the bottom draft door. Also, if you are stirring the coals to remove the ash from the previous cook, be careful not to lift up the grate with the ash tool. This is also really easy to do. Basically, be gentle with the ash tool ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    When doing high temp sear, be sure to clean out the small nuggets of leftover lump, as they tend to block air flow, and fill with fresh lump.
    I removed the spring keeper for the thermo and slid it onto the thermo stem before re-inserting the thermo in the egg, that way there is only about 3/4" protruding through the inside of the egg, giving you max headroom.
    A 12 opound turkey might fit, but that is probably without a rach, and drip pan, and something to provide indirect heat.
    I have done 9-10 pound turkey breasts(bone in bird, just no wings or legs) successfully, over leg-up platesetter,drip pan and grid, in the small.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    you will love the small... i use mine 80% of the time now and the large sits. they are right be careful with the grate. it moves easy.. you can more on there than you think..

pot roast this weekend

2011-06-19_08-48-09_142.jpg

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Ash needs to be removed more often than with a Large. I usually rake it out before every cook with the Small even though could prob go 2-3 cooks depending. With the Large I can cook serveral times before even thinking of it.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Lois, you will love your small. I have the Lge and Small combo also and the little guy is great. It heats up faster and is just as easy to dial in and maintain your desired temp.
    As already mentioned, it does have to be cleaned out much more often than the large. The upside to that is it is much easier to take completely apart if you wish.
    I use a cheap [$20] 5gal shop vac for all my cleaning, so it is no big deal.
    I have a platesetter with mine and one thing we love to cook is quesadillas [a super way to use up leftovers].
    The little platesetter, legs down, is perfect for this. Legs up, the platesetter will hold a good sized DO for cooking that big pot of beans to go with the ribs you have on the Lge. :) :P :cheer: Enjoy!
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Great combo. Same combo I have a d we love it.