Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib experts - what am I doing wrong?

edaly
edaly Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie BGE owner here that could really use some advice!

The goal: pull-apart soft Ribs with moist, tender meat *and* a nice BBQ glaze.

First rack of ribs I tried on the BGE was a bust - I smoked 'em for 10 hrs @ 230F with the plate setter in place (turned up). They were pretty dry and a bit hard - obviously smoked way too long. So I do some research, read about 3-1-1 etc. and decide I'll keep it simple (foiling for an hour seems like a bit of a hassle) and do a shorter smoke with some added moisture:

5855136238_0ff2018622_z.jpg

This trial was about 6 hrs @ 250F. Again plate setter in up position and now a drip pan on the setter filled with apple juice to keep things moist (which I replenished halfway through).

After 5 hours I prod the meat a bit and realize it's still pretty firm, but I didn't have any more time left to experiment that night so I did one more hour without the plate setter/drip pan and just basted and grilled to get a nice glaze (which worked well). These ribs were tasty but the meat was nowhere's near pull-apart soft.

I'm about to start my third trial now, and I'm a bit stumped. Do I smoke for longer than 6 hours, when almost every recipe I see online is 5-6 hours? Do I bite the bullet and do the foiling - is that 1 hour of steaming in the foil the secret to the pull-apart softness?

My current plan is 9 hrs @ 250F with the apple juice-filled drip-pan in place to keep them from drying out.

Help me out, rib experts!

Comments

• BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    I'm no expert, but i just did my first ribs this weekend for father's day and nailed them using carwash mike's instructions pretty much exactly (see Morro's link!).

The only thing I did differently was that after about 4.5 hrs I "tented" the ribs with a piece of foil while still on the egg. I sprayed them right before this so I imagine that this steamed them a bit to get the meat a little softer.

The ribs ended up perfect--not fall of the bone, but the meat definitely came off when you pulled, the bones were left clean, and the meat was super tender and tasty!

Props to Carwash Mike, I wish I had gotten to know him back in the day.
  • edaly
    Appreciate the link - looks like a good formula. But I'm still stumped - his formula is 5.5 hrs with the first couple hours being 200 - 225F. I smoked for 6 hrs at 250F and still didn't get 'em pull-apart soft. Not sure why a lower temp and some misting would make all the difference.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    This is what I did yesterday (and I'm no expert). St. Louis spares - rubbed the night before with yellow mustard and seasoned with DP Red Eye. On the egg, indirect at 275 for about 4 hours, foiled for the next hour - or so (actually around 1 1/2 hour). Back on indirect - finished with Bone Suckin' sauce - meat pulling back and fork tender - they were moist and tender. The best ribs I've ever prepared! I've had hit and miss results in the past - will repeat this cook over the 4th of July. I suppose I would have foiled sooner if the ribs had the appearance of getting dried out - I hope your next ribs are exactly what you are looking for. :)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Check your thermometer. Many a great cook has been ruined by a thermo that lied to its owner.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    One other comment - every cook is different. The times I had yesterday will likely change on the next cook - I don't think it will be any less, but know that it could take more time. I guess it's just a matter of getting comfortable with what looks and feels right - don't get me wrong, you have to cook to temp and make sure the food is thoroughly cooked. On the other hand, once you get familiar with the egg and the way ribs cook, you will perfect them! :) I'm still looking for the perfect brisket cook....I'll get it one day.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    If you are looking for "fall off the bone" ribs, you are going to have to include what I refer to as a "stewing step" (foiling).
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    IMO pull apart soft is over cooked but is easy to do with foiling for 1 hour or more starting about 4 hours into the cook for spares 3 hours for baby backs. I like them with a little pull off the bone (when you bite you leave an impression without all the meat falling off). These spares were done without foil for just over 6 hours at 250 dome temp and sauced for the last 20-30 minutes and was real happy with the texture.

ready for sauce at about 5 1/2 hours

DSC00117.jpg

after cooking the sauce on

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

Not the best looking slab I've ever done but had one of the best taste and texture.
  • edaly
    Thanks everyone.. sounds like foiling is really a key step I'm missing. I'll also test my BGE thermometer. Thanks!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    If you choose that route add about 1/4 cup of liquid to the foil e/g apple juice, and foil meat side down.
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Just another thought too...it may be your ribs, and not your cooking method. I see a lot of posts on the forum about brisket that is no good, even from experienced eggers, seems like the meat is sometimes just not right, nothing you can do.

All you can do is keep trying, and keep paying attention to what you change and what you keep the same. You'll nail it soon, and it will be worth the effort.
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Cooking at 225 doing the 3.1.1 caused the result below..

249851_2126736645847_1168855324_2629120_3689349_n.jpg

Ribs falling apart before as I was trying to remove from the foil. You will be amazed at the amount of juices in the foil after the hour.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    First thing is get rid of the apple juice filled pan. That is old school metal grill stuff to try and keep moisture in your food...those days are over for you now.

Cook 'em at 275° for 4 to 5 hours until the internal temp is 195° to 205°. Use the plate setter but no drip pan. The ribs will bend in the middle and start to tear when picked up with a pair of tongs.

Good luck with them.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I'm glad you told him to ditch the liquid pan. That was first on my list also!

Also using the "bend test" if he can't check internal temp is helpful in knowing when they are tender.

PS - Looking forward to your July 4 announcement :woohoo:
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Suggest you add more flavor when foiling. On the heavy-duty foil, put some brown sugar, a drizzle of honey, a pat of butter and a little apple juice. Put the meaty side down and wrap tightly. You may want to use two pieces of foil so the bones won't poke holes and let the juice run out.

The liquid that remains in the foil when you unwrap and remove the ribs is DELICIOUS! Don't discard it until you're sure you won't pour it over something.
    Judy in San Diego
  • I use the 3-2-1 method and can adjust the amound of "fall of the boneness" greatly by how much time they spend in the foil. I put a splash of apple juice on the rack and in the foil before i seal it. I leave it foiled about an hour to an hour and a half and I get the tenderness while not quite falling off all over the place.

Like everyone has said, and as a newbie I have learned, keep experimenting - its one of the great things about the Egg!
  • what is the 3-1-1 and the 3-2-1 method?

I have been just rubbing, putting them on and going until they bend and start to tear...come out great...

I like the foil with apple juice, honey and butter idea would add lots of flavor...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    edaly wrote:
    Newbie BGE owner here that could really use some advice!

The goal: pull-apart soft Ribs with moist, tender meat *and* a nice BBQ glaze.

First rack of ribs I tried on the BGE was a bust - I smoked 'em for 10 hrs @ 230F with the plate setter in place (turned up). They were pretty dry and a bit hard - obviously smoked way too long. So I do some research, read about 3-1-1 etc. and decide I'll keep it simple (foiling for an hour seems like a bit of a hassle) and do a shorter smoke with some added moisture:

5855136238_0ff2018622_z.jpg

This trial was about 6 hrs @ 250F. Again plate setter in up position and now a drip pan on the setter filled with apple juice to keep things moist (which I replenished halfway through).

After 5 hours I prod the meat a bit and realize it's still pretty firm, but I didn't have any more time left to experiment that night so I did one more hour without the plate setter/drip pan and just basted and grilled to get a nice glaze (which worked well). These ribs were tasty but the meat was nowhere's near pull-apart soft.

I'm about to start my third trial now, and I'm a bit stumped. Do I smoke for longer than 6 hours, when almost every recipe I see online is 5-6 hours? Do I bite the bullet and do the foiling - is that 1 hour of steaming in the foil the secret to the pull-apart softness?

My current plan is 9 hrs @ 250F with the apple juice-filled drip-pan in place to keep them from drying out.

Help me out, rib experts!

It took me 3 tries with ribs to get it right. There are several ways to do them right. I found the 3-1-1 method worked extremely well. Foiling them makes a huge difference in tenderness. But even that is half the battle. Getting the rub right and I found the prep made a difference. I marinade my ribs for 4 hours in Italian dressing and then remove that and put on brown sugar, black pepper and minced onions, wrap and let sit overnight. Just before cooking them I scrape all that off and put on my rub. Then I do the 3-1-1 method.

My neighbors went nuts over them. Best they ever had, so they said. I felt that way too.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    This is what i do and they are always, always...great ribs

Adapted from Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

4 racks baby back pork ribs, about 2 3/4 lbs each (Don’t remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. It helps hold it all together)

Mustard Moisturizer

1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
    1/4 cup water 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Seasoning Blend

6 tablespoons mild chili powder, preferably Chimayo, Ancho or Hatch
    3 tablespoons sweet paprika
    3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
    2 1/4 teaspoons coarsely ground fresh black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Wrapping Mixture

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 cup honey
    1/4 cup apricot nectar

Apricot BBQ Sauce
    1 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce
    1/2 cup apricot preserves
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons water

Preparation

1. Preheat an indirect barbecue drip pan and fruitwood (preferably apple), a ceramic cooker with deflector plate and fruitwood (preferably apple) or a charcoal or gas grill with a box or packet of fruitwood (preferably apple) to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Combine all of the Mustard Moisturizer ingredients. Combine all of the seasoning blend ingredients. Rub a thin layer of the Mustard Moisturizer on all sides of the racks and lightly sprinkle with the seasoning blend on all sides. The remaining seasoning blend will be used later in the cooking.

3. If using a ceramic cooker, the racks can be placed an inch apart on a rib. They might need to be trimmed to fit the cooking surface so the lid can close. If using a larger indirect or direct barbecue, no additional trimming is necessary. Place the ribs in the cooker and cook for 2 hours.

4. Meanwhile, combine the Wrapping Mixture ingredients.

5. Tear off 8 sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Working with 2 sheets of foil at a time, place a quarter of the Wrapping Mixture on the foil, top with a rack of ribs, and wrap in the foil, crimping to seal. Wrap with the second sheet of foil. Repeat for three remaining 3 racks of ribs.

If using a ceramic cooker, stack the packets on top of each other. If using a smoker, place the ribs on sheet pans for easier movement.

Place the packets back in the cooker, meat side down, and cook for 1 hour, flipping half way through.

6. Remove the racks from the cooker and let rest in the foil packets for 20 minutes.

7. Remove the ribs from the foil and dust lightly on both sides with additional seasoning blend.Place the ribs back in the cooker, meat side up, for 30 minutes.

8. Meanwhile, combine the BBQ Sauce ingredients.

9. Remove the racks from the cooker and brush with an even, but not too thick layer of sauce. The layer should evenly coat the ribs but should not clump. Place meat in the cooker, meat side up, for 25 minutes to tighten up the sauce.

10. Paint a cutting board with some of the remaining sauce.

11. Remove the ribs from the cooker and place on the prepared cutting board adding additional sauce as needed to cover, but not excessively coat. Spray twice with apple juice spray.Cut the ribs from the racks and dredge to coat the exposed sides with the remaining BBQ sauce.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Maybe it's just me, but I get much more consistant results with spare ribs. People say they always prefer Babybacks, but no one ever complains when they have well prepared spare ribs.
  • sbmfj
    sbmfj Posts: 37
    so the above recipes are mainly for pork ribs, or will beef ribs work as well? I tried some beef ribs this weekend, and it was an EPIC fail, as I got the wrong cut of meat, and the ribs were really fatty and gross. So, a little guidance for the pork or beef would be appreciated. Also, any butcher lingo on the proper names of the rib cuts would be appreciated.

One last question, if I want beef ribs, are they the ribs off a prime rib roast, or from a different part of the cow?
  • edaly
    Just wanted to give a quick update on my rib quest. Thanks to the advice here, rack #2 turned out pretty good. The one hour of foiling made a HUGE difference and these ribs were nice and soft but still had a.

Here's a pic where you can see how cleanly the meat pulled apart from the bones:

5876255100_2eefc246e4_z.jpg

My wife doused 'em in BBQ sauce before foiling, and it seemed to work pretty well. I look forward to trying all the other foil techniques though, like the butter/apple juice/honey recommended earlier.

I also gave 'em about 1/2 on the grill without the plate setter to get a bit of a glaze going. Next time I'd probably get the heat higher so the glaze didn't take so long - it toughened the outside a little bit too much.

The only problem I noticed with the technique this time was that one edge of the ribs got way too much heat and got pretty dried out and almost blackened. This was the edge that was sitting over the gap between the plate setter and the wall of the BGE (there are three of these gaps formed when the plate setter is in place). I put my hand over these gaps and noticed they were a lot hotter than the temp over the center of the plate setter, which is worrying.

I just ordered a rib rack so I can do a few racks at a time and I'm a bit worried about how to avoid this heat differential over the gaps while smoking.

Any further tips appreciated - thanks for all the great advice!