Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - But worth it

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
-

A couple of days ago when elzebth posted about traveling to Foley, Alabama to attend a hot air balloon festival http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1109242&catid=1 it brought back some fond memories of our first and only adventure with hot air balloons.

Back in another life while living in Jacksonville, Florida, my Sweetie surprised me with a ride in a hot air balloon for my birthday in 1985.

We had a few photos and some old 8mm film that we had converted to VCR years later. I tried converting the film to CD but it didn't take.

After her post, I was determined to get it to digital format so I could post it to YouTube. I finally just pointed my Flip video camera at an old TV that was equipped with a VCR player. I am really glad I did that because I managed to salvage one of the best times in our lives.

Converting it also allows me to share it with others.

Take a look. Then strongly consider contacting your local hot air balloon club to schedule a ride. You will never forget it.

Here's the new movie version of our adventure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWHIrW_FSvE

Spring "Salvaging Important Parts of Our Lives" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

-

Comments

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Beautiful scenery, beautiful lady, beautiful music, beautiful memories
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks Roger. It was all that and more.

Hey! There are hot air balloons on that side of the pond. It could be a special surprise for someone hint hint...

Spring "Pushing Hot Air All Over The World" Chicken
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi Leroy,
    We have them here but the unpredictable weather is a huge problem.
    My neighbour next door got a trip as a present for her 60th birthday, she was 63 before she got to go on the trip.
    The morning was so beautiful she forgave the company the 17 cancellations due to unsuitable weather.
    It is on my "to do before 60" list.
    Anyway, we are well able to shift large quantities of hot air without the help of any balloons, LOL
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Wow I liked that and to go back 26 years. I was living in Bradenton, Florida then and was 28 years old. Just looking at your film brings back memories for me. Plus I now feel like I went on my own hot air balloon ride.

Thanks Leroy
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Options
    I had a similar experience two years ago when we visited our daughter in Park City, Utah. We went out to eat a birthday dinner for me and she handed me two tickets for a balloon ride the next morning. I didn't have time to even think about it. Didn't think I would ever go up but now, I would go again in a heartbeat. The only problem we had was in landing. He tried to go down earlier but there was a skunk under us in the landing zone and it wouldn't move so our pilot went back up and found another landing area. It is amazing the control they have over their balloons. We went up to 32oo feet and our partner balloon went up to 5000 feet so a passenger could jump out and parachute down. He had a water board on his feet and was trying to hit a pond of water and ski across it. It was a successful attempt.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I used to crew for a hot air ballooning team, so I've been blessed to not only experience the grace of flight many times, but to witness many marriage proposals, birthday parties, anniversaries, and other significant events in other's lives.

They are memories I will cherish forever.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Lovely, Leroy! What a treat to see that MUSTACHE, and the beautiful Spring Hen--what a looker!

Thanks for the great video.
    Judy in San Diego