Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burn off

Options
golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My LBGE is a little over 2 years old and I am thinking about doing a high temp burn off. Do you just put a bag of charcoal in, open vents all the way and let it go until charcoal burns out? Can I put plate setter, etc in also? Any guesstimates on how long it will take to burn out?

Comments

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Kind of a common question lately. I did a quick search and came up with the results below:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=search&searchword=Clean+burn

Your outlined steps, above, are mostly correct. Yes you can put in a plate setter. Yes you can include your grill, etc.

Good luck,
    Ted
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Just leave the vents all the way open after the next medium length cook. Half a fire box should be enough to turn all the crud to carbon. If you have lots of build up, it will turn to a "skin" that can be flaked off. More likely, there will be a coat of soot that can be rubbed of with some crumpled foil.

Alternatively, let everything burn off whenever there's only a 1/4 box of lump left.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I sometimes let my egg continue to burn after a cook. Like when I have used that particular load of lump for 2 or three cooks. I simply take the daisy wheel off after a cook and open up the bottom and let it rip. Yes, I will put the plate setter in there or what ever else I have that I need to burn off. Keep in mind if you have a gasket like the felt one you could wind up cooking it as well and even sticking your dome to your base. So, be careful. :ermm:
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Options
    I wouldn't start and leave it with the vents open, i would get it up to 650-700 and then let it burn out. I have done it this way and it has worked well, at this time I also put my DFMT in the egg lett it get cleaned off then smear it with a bit of bacon grease to re-season it.