Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digital thermometer

tipc1
tipc1 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are the best digital thermometers available now? My polder worked great
For many years but it finally crapped out. So it is time for a new one and maybe
An upgrade is in order A remote readout would be nice but not a requirement
I would like two probes option. One for meat and one grate temp. I know the
Maverick thermometer had probe issues in the past. Just fishing for opinions thanks
For the help!

Comments

• DrDaveMack
    DrDaveMack Posts: 10
    The Thermapen was one of the best purchases I ever made!
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I bought the maverick 732 and have been very pleased with it. Had it since February.....no issues.
  • transversal
    I was hopin to get one'a those for Pappy's Day.....but no go. Maybe for my birthday.....which is October 4 for all of you who might wanna write that down.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

For a instant digital thermometer there is only one - Thermapen. If you get anything else you will be making a big mistake. I would be surprised if anyone that cooks much would say different. About 90 bucks and well worth the money.

It is the one of the biggest improvements to the quality of cooking on and off the egg I have had.

For a Dual Probe Remote get the Maverick ET-732. This is a new unit and has a lot of improvements over the ET-73. Right now about $60 of the net and again well worth the price.

Good Egg'n.

GG
  • transversal
    Grampaw, are you anywhere near North Ogden?
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    First the Thermapen, a necessity , then the Maverick ET-732 if you think you need it. I have both and use the Thermapen all the time.
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Thermapen hands down
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    For a instant digital thermometer there is only one - Thermapen. If you get anything else you will be making a big mistake. I would be surprised if anyone that cooks much would say different. About 90 bucks and well worth the money.

It is the one of the biggest improvements to the quality of cooking on and off the egg I have had.

For a Dual Probe Remote get the Maverick ET-732. This is a new unit and has a lot of improvements over the ET-73. Right now about $60 of the net and again well worth the price.

Can't add much to Grandpas Grub's statement. Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

About an hour 15, south on I-15.

Kent
  • DanB
    DanB Posts: 44
    Has anyone tried the iGrill? It can do up to two probes and uses Bluetooth to talk to an app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

- dan
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215

+1, thats the setup I have.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have both and have no problems with the 732...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    DanB wrote:
    Has anyone tried the iGrill? It can do up to two probes and uses Bluetooth to talk to an app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

- dan

Bluetooth is only good for 30 feet or so. What's the point?