Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Ribs and tips. 1st timer needs help

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, when I asked for St. Louis cut ribs my butcher gave me these which included the tips:

IMAG0095.jpg
IMAG0096.jpg

I did not realize I was getting the tips as well. I bought 5 packages (6lbs each at $3/lb). Anyhow, my plan to smoke ribs tomorrow has necessarily changed to making some tips as well. I'm getting ready to put on my rub for the night which can be found at http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

I've never even eaten rib tips before and have absolutely NO idea on what to do with this cook. I'm starting to regret not just getting a few packages of baby backs at Sam's Club. Please help.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Just cook them with the ribs as they get done sooner if you put them near the edges. Now you have appetizers!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    The trimmings will cook faster than the ribs and make a great mid cook snack ;)
  • dsmith
    Options
    About how long into the cook can I expect them to get done? We are planning on eating around 1:30 - 2 tomorrow and my smoke will be unattended from about 9:30 - 12:30.

Also, are they pretty good eats?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Tips, when chopped up would go very nicely in a batch of beans. ;)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dsmith
    Options
    Ok, so here goes. 4 racks and associated tips. Dry rub as above and into the fridge. I'll post pix during the smoke tomorrow.

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

This is a lot of 1sts for me...first time using my rig...first time smoking ribs...first time eating tips...hope it all turns out for the Father's Day feast.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    When I smoke trimmed spare ribs and cook the trimmings along with the slabs they usually start coming off around 2 hours into the cook. Tim :)
  • dsmith
    Options
    Thanks for the links on your spare rib cook and the info about tips. Sounds like I will put my ribs and tips on around 8am or so and smoke 'em till I leave for church around 9:15. At that time I'll pull the tips and rotate top to bottom the racks. When I get home at 12:15 I'm guessing my racks will still need a little more time so I'll throw the tips back on to reheat and finish up if needed. Guests will start arriving about 12:30-1. Will be able to snack on the tips and eat around 1:30-2.

Well, that looks like is the plan anyhow. I'll post more and throw on some pix as I get ramped up.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Have a great cook. You will see the more times you cook ribs the better you will get. I cook them to a tenderness that I like. I use time as a guide. If you stick a tooth pick into the raw meat of the ribs and feel the resistance then after some time smoking them stick the tooth pick in again...until you reach the tenderness you desire. Another way is the bend test. Pick up the ribs with your tongs and note how they bend over. If they almost break in half you will have fall off the bone. Now some like the ribs fall off the bone but, some like them cooked a little less. Another way is to cut off some meat and try it. :P