Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking on a XL vs. Med/Large?? Thermodynamics??

Options
stlcharcoal
stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had both a Medium & Large BGE for a many years, and bought a XL last night.

Looking over the XL, it's quite different. It's shorter, but wider. The bottom draft door is larger, but the chimney is the same size. How does it perform compared to the Med & Large?

Does the fire last as long? Does it cook evenly, or do you have to give the charcoal more time to even out the fire? What about really high temps for pizzas & searing?

I guess I was envisioning a Large that was the same shape, just 25% large in all dimensions. Either way, I'm exciting to start cooking on it. I just need to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    The Xl is not very forgiving if you let it get away from you and the temp gets real high. It will hold a full ten pound bag of lump when empty. With that much fresh lump, it will get real hot real fast for searing and pizzas. For low and slow, I light it in the middle and sneak up on 225*. 225* for me is the draft door 1/4-1/2 inch open and the wheel at about half a petal hole.
    I have only owned an XL so I cannot speak of another size. I have been using it 3-4 times a week since January so I can share some experience,however limited that may be. :)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I own a XL, L and Medium and to me they all have different cooking characteristics. In my experience with the XL I agree with XLentEGG. Being wider with more oxygen inside it seems a little more temperamental and can take off on you at times. But that's how mine reacts in comparison to my large. And my medium is slower to react than my large.
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    I have 2 XL's and a medium. I find that the XL is great at holding temps but yes if you let the temp get away from you it is harder to bring do the temp one it has climbed 100 degrees over the desired temp. I find that once you get use to a lump (I use Maple Leaf) that you really understand how to set the draft door and daisy wheel. Maple Leaf is a good burning lump that can get hot for grilling and holds low temps very well with mild smoke that will allow your flavour woods to come through better than most other lumps.

The medium is my super quick start cooker that is great for quick grilling and small slow cooks.

In the end I would never trade my XL's for any other size, it is far superior for baking pizzas because of the high heat and XL Stone 22" other than 16" large stone.
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    while learning my xl had problems with hot spots, but am getting a handle on it...when doing a lot of steaks, its always my wife's that gets overdone....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder