Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porcelain composite grilling stone OK for pizza?

flyboy320
flyboy320 Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Home Depot down the road carries this type of pizza stone. I don't know the first thing about them, but is this material OK for a pizza stone (I thought they had to be ceramic)?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/deluxe-composite-pizza-and-grill-stone/916308

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    It's says it's for pizza so yes, give it a try. If you have any issues you can always take it back to HD.
  • flyboy320
    I may just do that. There is another stone available (much more expensive) from this store;

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=3540&step=4&AffNo=84702436

I guess I would have to look at them both, but my guess would be you would want the more porous material (looks like the HD brand might be a smooth/sealed ceramic)?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Some composites are used in firing pieces in kilns around 2200+F. You can always take it back if it does not work as just mentioned. After all it is "Made in China".
    Pampered Chef has a pizza stone that does not hold up to the high heat of the BGE and yet it is a pizza stone. There have been many mentions of them breaking over the years on this forum.

If you have a pottery/kiln supply place near you, Their round cordierite stones are usually used around 2250-2350F and work rather nice for pizzas.

Axner is about an hour from me and has good customer service if you want something shipped.

http://www.axner.com/refractories-and-firing.aspx
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    BGE Stone & Pampered Chief (thinner)

pizzastones2.jpg

BGE stone was around $40 a few yrs ago here in KS.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Kiln shelving does work well. They come in round, square, octagon shapes. I like the octagon as it allows air flow - and the octagon is what I had on hand. If I had to buy I probably would have looked for a round.

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

A little concern about the start cold disclaimer. HD will stand behind their products. Keep in mind those wire handles will be hot.

I think it was Walmart that had a 3/4" to 1" thick pizza stone. It also had some formed in ribbing for extra stability.

Go read Rickard FL's post below.

• flyboy320
    There is a kiln place not to far from me. If I call them up or drop by, what material is it that I should ask for?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Check my link to Axner above.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Composite ....Country of origin ...China ....Enough said.
    BTW welcome to the forum
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Pretty much any type of stone or other material designed for pizza will work and stand up to the heat if you let it warm and cool slowly. Contrary to popular belief, I have a Pampered Chef stone that I've used for over a year now and done many za's on and it has held up just fine and is way thinner than the BGE version.

232323232fp32_nu32_9_272__64_WSNRCG346252_5_335nu0mrj1.jpg

I also have this metal one I got on the clearance rack at William Sonoma for about $20

za3.jpg

I've configured a way to do two at a time...
    za.jpg
  • N.E. Egger
    N.E. Egger Posts: 39
    I have been looking into getting one from this company.
    http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php
    Glenn
  • flyboy320
    Just wanted to thank everyone here for their great suggestions :)

I went with Richard Fl idea of getting a cordorite shelf from a kiln store. If you hadn't mentioned that, I would have had no idea such a thing exists! When I went in to buy it the owner said he knew exactly what I was after (I mentioned it was for a pizza stone), since many restaurants buy the shelves from him for cooking their pizzas on.