Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Problem!!!

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Bride to be just brought the 65 pounds of pork butts over. They are bound for the large tomorrow about 2pm.
They are FROZEN solid. :blink: :angry:
I was not told they were in the freezer.
I will get off work early tomorrow at 1pm. There are 7 packs three each in both sides of metal kitchen sink. The odd ball on the speration wall of the sinks. They are all pretty much not touching another.
Leave them there all night and through my shift is 18 hours.
I'm hoping that will work. I will do the touchy feely thing in the morning.
Another option is to bring them to work with me......I don't know really why I just typed that....
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Oh, Molly, that is a big problem! What was she thinking? It's a shame you don't know a butcher that would swap them out for some thawed ones.....good luck.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    oh crap LOL oh Molly LOL this is why we got out of doing weddings when we had our gift shop. did the flowers LOL PIA from beginning to end... wish I was closer I would give a hand. another thing you can do is haul out any cast iron you have set some in that
    it thaws things much faster. pans, dutch ovens what ever you can get them in... you need good contact but it is pretty cool how it works
  • cookn biker
    I've not heard about that Julie. Get to talking to me about it. :whistle:
    I figured the metal sink will hold the cold while they thaw. I have no central air here and it's hot in the west facing kitchen.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Molly,
    It's not a problem. I cook between 50-200 butts a month and many of them are frozen. I buy in cases and many times the ones on the outside of the box will be thawed and the inside ones frozen. It takes no more than an hour longer to cook and you won't be able to tell the difference. A couple of years ago I spent a week with Mike Mills (4 time world champion and author) and he talked about cooking frozen meat. He put frozen and thawed butts, ribs and briskets on together and you could never tell the difference. Butts have so much fat in them that they start to soften very quickly and start to cook. Mike feels that frozen pork will stay more moist with the center frozen. I'm not sure I buy that but I will tell you that you won't be able to tell the difference.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    this is a touchy thing. you might want to give LC a shout and see if she has any ideas.. with it being for a group and having to thaw fast and still be safe. but I use cast iron pots and pans all the time to thaw something faster. just lay it on the pan inside or flip it over and put on the bottom of it. something about it draws the cold out. thawed a thick pot roast the other day in about an hour.. but the contact is important.if these are solid and three together.. going to be tough.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Projects like that I throw into the spa for an hour or so. Do you have a cooler or two that will hold that amount of meat? Leave the tops off the cooler if that is the way you go. If so place in tonight with water to cover and change water tomorrow when you get home. Should work. Might even change water before you crash tonight. OR you might call the caterer and see what they suggest, hehe!
  • Booking It
    Booking It Posts: 53
    I always thaw large cuts of meat in cold water. For example, if I have a 5 pound roast or say a 12 pound turkey, I put it in a large stock pot (7-8 qt) and cover with cold water. I change the water every 30-45 minutes or so. The meat is usually thawed within a few hours. It sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does. I think I read about it in Cooks Illustratd. Don't be tempted to use hot water because it will cause the outside to thaw quicker and bacteria may start t firm.

So just multiply that method by 10 and it should work.

Whatever method you choose, good luck!
  • I'm with Richard....
    When I need to thaw something faster, I use water.
    I've got fish in water now as a matter of fact....Not enough fresh in the fridg. :( for the group on the way over this evening.
  • cookn biker
    I just don't want to babysit the water changes when I have to get up 4am for work.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    It will not make any difference if 2 packs are frozen together. They will pull away from each other. The only thing that will be different is you won't have a good solid bark in the area where they were touching. Any questions call me @636-578-9010.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Molly, First thing don't panic, I use water all the time to defrost faster, perhaps a neighbour could give you a hand with the water changes if you are at work. I know you will be fine.
  • cookn biker
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    I think I've got the master plan down. :laugh: :)
    You'll see pictures.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Hi Molly,

It is not a good practice to leave that meat out for 18 hours sitting in water.Give them 2 to 3 hours in moving water and then put them in the fridge until you are ready to rub and cook them. They will be thawed enough to apply the rub and cook them like normal. Try cooking them at 275° for about 4 hours and then wrap them in foil. They will probably be done in 9 hours or less, could be as short as 6 or 7 hours.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Molly if you have any 5 gallon buckets, leave the butts in package, 3 or 4 will fit in a bucket garden hose in bucket at just a trickle they will thaw completely in about 2 hours......and I know this from experience. Neighbor showed up with 6 that I had promised to cook for a graduation party the next day. They were frozen solid and well below zero degrees F. We had em thawed and smokin in under 3 hours.
  • cookn biker
    Thanks Bobby.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    The guy I buy beef from grills everything from rock hard frozen. I've ate his cooking and you seriously cannot tell the difference. He cooks at a little lower temp on gas and they cook medium rare and perfect.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241