Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - electric knife suggestions?

eggzlot
eggzlot Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need to pick one up, I see a bunch for sale on amazon all around the $15-$25 range. Anyone love/hate their model? I see Black and Decker, Toast Master, Hamilton Beach and Oster at that price range, with the Cuisinart one being 3x the price.

Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Some of the brands are just re-labeled models. Cuisinart stuff is pricey in general.

I have an old (low end) Oster, same as some other brands, and it works fine.

Check the reviews posted by people that have posted and read their comments.
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    the reviews are all 3.5 or 4 stars, and all models are within about $7 of each other :-) I have amazon prime and they all ship with 2 day free shipping for prime customers.

hard to find a way to make a decision between them all. If one has 5 stars it would be an easy pick, if one was 2 stars I'd steer clear of it.
  • Grandpas Grub

I like the longer knife blades as I use it for cutting home made bread too.

Read the reviews and if anything strikes you as bad or good that too will help. $7 isn't all that much of a deal beaker one way or the other. Once you decide let us know how you like it.

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Gave ours away. Prefer nice knives and regular slicing. Just our preference.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    I always read the negative reviews to see if what bothers them would bother me. The good reviews to me are worthless since most of them are generic this product is great, but the negatives tend to provide more info when you weed out the whiners.
  • Grandpas Grub

I only use mine for bread. The knife came with a cutting saddle which insures evenly sliced bread.

I have to agree, nothing better than a good set of knives.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I have the Cuisinart set, absolutely love it. It is pricey as mentioned (Chef's Catalog has it for $55 right now) but it comes with a beautiful wood base that can be propped up like a picture frame or wall mounted (or left in a drawer, like mine... :ermm: ) and it comes with two blade sets, one for meat and one for bread (to be honest I didn't know they were specialized).
    I keep my Henckel's very sharp, but an electric I find so much better for meat if it has a reasonable bark on it, which my briskets now do since becoming an "egger".

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.