Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire won't go out?

B&BKnox
B&BKnox Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie just finished cook #7 earlier tonight, sorry no pics. Shut grill down at 6:45 as usual, cook was not high temp (325) grill on about 2 hours start to close.

Now 3 hours later, I checked inside and still had a pretty good number of coals glowing red/orange. I rechecked my dampers and they were definitely closed. Ceramic top/snuffer was on correctly.

how can the fire still be going this hot 3 hours after shut down. dome temp 230.
Be Well

Knoxville TN

Comments

• SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Same reason why a fire can last 24+ hours, the BGE is very very efficient! Give it time and it will go out, opening up to check doesn't help.
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    How is your gasket? Have you done the dollar bill test all around the gasket to make sure there aren't any gaps and that it is set correctly?
  • B&BKnox
    So true, lets add more oxygen, duh :laugh: Yes gasket passes $ test. Previously after 3 hours the fire was out, just kind of surprised.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Leave it ALONE! ;) Close everything and fuggetabout it.Opening the dome to check it just adds more Oxygen and makes it burn longer.The radiant heat from the egg can last for hours.It will still be hot long after the fire is out. :) Good Luck.
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Yep, forget about it. You will still have some lump tomorrow. At my most recent eggfest that I went to, I closed her down for about 2 hours after cooking. I removed the lump because there was nothing lit and I had to go. It really looked like everything was put out. After a short amount of time, the dull lump starting lighting up and glowing quickly. It really doesn't take much oxygen to do it and to get it burning again.
  • B&BKnox
    Thanks guy's, your right don't worry it will go out, new toys gotta check, won't again.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • I don't know if this is true or not but I always thought my air leak was after putting the ceramic top on. I used to put foil over the opening and then the ceramic top...fire seemed to go out more quickly. Then after reading a post here I talked my dealer into giving me some extra felt gasket scraps and I used that to make a ring inside the top of the ceramic cap. I've seen others say the when they put the ceramic top on they spin it so that it eventually seats more tightly as the two surfaces mate (hehe..I said mate).
  • B&BKnox
    I like the idea of a gasket inside the ceramic top. It should give a better, air tight, seal.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Check the fit of the ceramic cap and do a dollar bill test around the base and dome.

Use some heavy duty aluminum foil to put over the dome vent then the ceramic cap.

or use some felt or gasket material around the inside of the ceramic cap to get a tight seal.
    gasket4.jpg

If you have a good dome to base seal your lump should go out somewhat quickly.

GG
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    My EGG has more gaps than Luongo and no gasket to speak of. Maybe a bit of remnant. LOL. When I shut it down, even with only the damper on top and not the cap it still shuts down quickly. Sure it stays warm for hours, but that's why we love the EGG. Heat retention. Not sure why all the lump would burn up. Don't peak. Adds more O2. I rely on that leftover lump.
  • Grandpas Grub

My large gasket is the same way, I haven't done the dollar bill test in well over a year but it leaks a lot of smoke when cooking. It shuts down rather quickly.

If B&BKnox still has red glowing lump after that long, air is getting in to the lump bed some how.

• B&BKnox
    GG, I agree, but after carefully checking the egg, I see no cracks, damper door was closed and ceramic top was on. Other cooks after 3 hours lump was not glowing, maybe warm but no orange glow. This AM the egg was cold and plenty of lump left in the fire box, so it did go out. Not sure why it took so long to extinguish this time. I did light the fire (I use an electric starter) closer to the front on the box in hopes this may even out the "hot" spot. That was the only thing different I did from before.

Sure love the way food tastes thou :)
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • I use the heavy foil. I trimmed all around the lip of the cap so now it is a permanent liner so to speak. It just stays stuck up in there and I have never had to replace it in over a year.
  • Grandpas Grub

Odd, air had to be getting to the lump bed somehow or the fire would have gone out.

I have never opened the dome during the shut down so I am not sure how long the lump will glow. At times I do check to make sure there is a temperature drop.